Japanese hand saw - Lidl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I havent a clue what a "Japanese hand saw" is but they are on sale in Lidl Ireland for euro 13.

07_0491_b.jpg

Are these any good for bushcraft?

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Just found this information about Japanese hand saws:

"Philosophy of the Japanese Saw
Many of us already know that Japanese saws cut on the pull stroke – but why is that? Cutting on the pull stroke allows the saw blade itself to be much thinner than a western-style push stroke saw because the work is done under tension, not compression. And a thinner blade makes for less work because you remove less wood every time you cut. Also, the pulling motion you make while cutting with a Japanese saw is much more controlled than a pushing motion is – you will be amazed at your cutting accuracy with a Japanese saw."

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I beleive it is a pull stroke due to the fact that japanease 'chippy's' do not use a bench and thus hand hold all items being cut. withought something to brace against a push cut is nigh on impossible ;) I think it is likely to be too fine a tpi to be much use for bushcraft use - workshop mind you........

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
g4ghb said:
I think it is likely to be too fine a tpi to be much use for bushcraft useQUOTE]
Perhaps; but if what they say about a pull saw being able to take a thinner blade is true it might be ok. Anyway at that price Ill try to get one.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
what I meant is it will have very fine teeth - great if you want to cut very accuratly and finely but not so good for hacking firewood

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Here is a little piece of info that may be useful for a 'Bushcraft' type fine saw;

Silky saws seem to be much more common now so a little bit on Google-ing will find this type.....I find it really useful for all sorts of fiddly jobs. These work on the pull-back principal and are a superb blade.

This is a Gomboy 210 fine tooth or Scattboy which is similar. The blade isapprox 210mm in length and the handle is similar so a total length unfolded is 420mm.
Similar shape to the usual 'super accel' 210 but with much finer teeth. (11.8 TPI)
£20.00 ish.

I hope this helps.
Swyn.

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
anthonyyy said:
g4ghb said:
Reccon you would be better of waiting for one of these
QUOTE]

Is it ever morally justified to advise someone against getting another piece of kit?

I reckon it's ok if you have a good knowledge of the kit being discussed. I'd rather someone advised me not to get a piece of kit if it saved me spending cash on a tool not up to the job.

Boosh.

Japanese saws are used in fine woodwork, as the typically very sharp blades are thin, so they can be used to make cuts with a tiny kerf and other joints involving slotting in wood the thickness of veneer into the slot created by the saw. Utilising the 'ppull stroke' is how the teeth are set, Your bog standard tenon saw has the teeth going forwards for max. efficiency on the push when sawing. Japanese saws work in the opposite direction.

They also normally have really cool names :)

As for bushcraft use, it would be just like taking your tenon saw out into the woods with you - the teeth are far to small to rip through the much more 'chewy' green wood and would jam and become inefficient. Compare the size and orientation of bow saw teeth and tenon saw ones and you will see what I mean.
The other thing which is handy about things like the bahco saw, is that they fold, reducing space and increasing safety.

If you enjoy woodwork though (not green) some people swear by them.

hope tha helps,

woodwalker

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
anthonyyy said:
I havent a clue what a "Japanese hand saw" is but they are on sale in Lidl Ireland for euro 13.

07_0491_b.jpg

I have one of these and it's a superb bit of kit for the money, but a bushcraft saw, no. as mentioned it's too fine toothed, I'd take it with me if I was doing some woodworking in the field, but then I'd have an adze, draw blade and sideaxe along with me too!

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
anthonyyy said:
g4ghb said:
Reccon you would be better of waiting for one of these
QUOTE]

Is it ever morally justified to advise someone against getting another piece of kit?

well to be honest Anthony you can buy what you like - it's no skin of my nose! I was just responding to your inital question and I quote from Post 1 -
anthonyyy said:
If you diddn't want constructive comments and oppinions why did you ask?:confused:

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
loz. said:
Can't find !

Which weekly special these in Anthonyyy ?

Next thursday.

Looks nice a nice saw for woodwork but not for bushcraft as people have pointed out. Ill still get one though

The Lidl folding saws are great for the price.

D

Deleted member 4605

schwuk said:
I've already planned my week around a trip to Lidl on Thursday. :)

Picked up two folding saws, two pairs of leather work gloves and some telescopic loppers this morning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE