Jack Hargreaves - Out of Town VHS tapes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zen

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2004
Dorset
SquirrelBoy said:
Only just remembered to post this heads-up about the ol`man Jack Hargreaves..

http://www.goodmusic.co.uk/p/VX442/Video/DVD

Series 1 and 2 of his famous `Out of Town` Might make a nice xmas present :biggthump
I bought these about a month ago (thanks to Falcon for putting me onto them) and from the first five minutes of hearing Jack speak I was deeply impressed. I used to watch him every week as a kid whilst growing up on the edge of the New Forest, where much of his TV work was set. Loads of good memories. :p

These vids are kind of a compilation of material and not "whole" episodes as they were previously shown on TV. They are still utterly brilliant though. :biggthump

If anyone comes across the previously released multi-volume videos "Out of Town - an English Country Diary" (I think it was in either 6 or 8 volumes) please let me know.

There is an ebay trader who has put a copy of volume 1 up for sale every week for the last few weeks but these usually go for silly money. The current one's up to £41, still with a day to go :nono:

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Zen, I think only Vol 1 of an English Country Diary was ever released,I got it when it first came out and enquired about subsequent volumes but never heard of any being released.

zen

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2004
Dorset
steve a said:
Zen, I think only Vol 1 of an English Country Diary was ever released,I got it when it first came out and enquired about subsequent volumes but never heard of any being released.

Thanks for the info Steve - if that's true it's pretty sad........ :icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

Guess I'll just have to hope they re-run them on TV one day.

Cheers,

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
:biggthump Fantastic, thats definitely one for my Christmas list :)
I have another video of Jack, Out of town, but it doesn't sound like either of those ?
I had heard that all the original tv tapes had been destroyed. So there was no hope of getting copies, guess that was wrong then. So there may be more available :p .

I never got to see him on the telly, inspite of his programme running for years. I discovered him when i got "the old country" out of the library to listen to on on tape on some long journey. Been hooked ever since. What a hero.

Thanks for the link

Rich

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
The "goodmusic" organisation referred to in Zen's post on 26 November had an advert in Saturday's Daily Telegraph for FOUR volumes of Jack's videos. Don't miss out....

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
In this weeks Shooting Times (2/12/04) there is a half page advert for vols 1&2 and 3&4. Both priced at £27.85 per twin pack

No web site but the addres and phone number are:

Video Post
Dept. V3176
Hays House
Box 99
St. Austell
Cornwall
PL25 3YD

08705 110 156

Never delt with them before so I can't vouch for them.

HTH

Cheers

Mark

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
I suspect there is huge demand for the Out of Town DVDs - I have seen an advert for them in a recent copy of the Radio Times - a full page ad!

Best wishes,

Bruce

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
SquirrelBoy said:
Only just remembered to post this heads-up about the ol`man Jack Hargreaves..

http://www.goodmusic.co.uk/p/VX442/Video/DVD

Series 1 and 2 of his famous `Out of Town` Might make a nice xmas present :biggthump

Jack Hargreaves was an extraordinary presenter. I'm told that none of his stuff was scripted. He just sat down in front of the camera and spouted from his incredible store of country knowledge.

He was a shrewd old b***er too! I'm told that he had a very serious financial stake in Southern Television.

Another marvellous presenter from the 1960s was Oliver Kite. He was, perhaps, better known as a legendary fly fisherman, but he was also a very knowledgeable and observant countryman. Anyone remember 'Kite's Country'?

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE