Jääkäripuukko 110

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Slaphead

Nov 6, 2020
Bolton
I have listened to advice from members and I am going to buy a Worksharp guided bench sharpener and Mora companion and learn how to sharpen my knives.

At some point in the future I would like to pick up a Terava Jääkäripuukko 110, but I have a question about it. I am not comfortable with carbon steel knives that have a black coating if I do not know the composition of the coating and possible health risks when it comes to cutting food.

The Terava blades are uncovered on the scandi grind but black above it. However, the black doesn't look like a coating. It is not cleanly done and looks patchy - although the appearance doesn't bother me on what is meant to be a working knife. Could anybody tell me whether this black part of the blade is actually a coating or simply the effect of the way the blade is produced/ heat treated?

Reactions: Erbswurst

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
coating or simply the effect of the way the blade is produced/ heat treated?
On my 85 it is not a coating but just a slight residue from HT, that is a good question to put them by email, they are fairly good at answering.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If not jet ordered, I recommend to get a Mora companion heavy duty if it should be cheap, what I assume.

That's a carbon steel blade and well for learning sharpening.

Mora 840 has a carbon blade too, the blade is thinner, less good for bushcraft but OK for cutting cardboard for example and around house and garden, and it is really cheap. We get it in Germany for less than 10 €.

To learn sharpening it's surely good enough. Around the house I use it a lot.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
I would get the 140 for wood processing and a smaller knife food prep. I have the 140 but its a bit thick for slicing vegies etc. It can do it and I have used it for such but a flat blade is better for food prep.

Using just 1 knife for all tasks is a compromise in all scenario's. Once you accept using a smaller knife for food prep then you dont need to worry about compromising on the wood prep knife. Personally these days I use a TBS Wildcat for finer woodwork amd food prep and a Skrama for wood processing.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
^ THIS ^
I carry a Opinel No8 garden model for food prep. Just the job.
Me too, it's my favourite food prep knife. Pocket-sized and takes a razor edge.
Anything with a "scandi" grind cuts carrots, onions etc like an axe ie. split and a bit lumpy. (not ideal if you want slices, unless you like it very rustic!).
That grind of blade was designed for carving and splitting wood and so on, which it does very well.
Food? Not so much.

Reactions: CLEM

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Opinel 7,8,9 ?

The 7 fits the best into the pocket of Jean's.
The 9 is the best size for food preparation.
The 8 is the best compromise in the hands of adult men. And for carving it's surprisingly good too. It really can work well as a backup bushcraft knife.

I prefere the carbon steel versions, because the friction is better after a bit of use.

Reactions: Billy-o

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE