I've got wood!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
I have access to some freshly cut wood. A little bit of birch and sycamore which will be used for spoons and carving and the log pile.
There is a fair bit of willow. In fact, quite a lot with some logs about 4 ft long and 1ft wide.

I hear willow is a good carver and I want to try using the bark for cordage. There is quite a bit of it though and if I knew what else to do I could have a good project on my hands. For example, buy a draw knife, make a shave horse and make some stuff.

What stuff can I actually make with it though? All suggestions welcome. I will have to check but there might be some spare.

I have lots of enthusiasm but no ideas!

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
in my experience makign cordage at this time of the year is quite tough as the bark doesnt seperated from the wood, best time is in spring/summer when the sap is rising. although it is entirely possible

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Come on guys, I have loads of wood! I would have thought somebody else would have seen the possibilities and lend me some advice.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
make a shave horse, then a pole lathe, which could lead to making a chair from the willow. watch the mastercrafts series.
when these are made, the possibilities become endless really.
bullroarer, kuksas', spare hafts for your axes or new hafts for old axe heads. bowls, plates,railings for the garden if you get a froe n split 'em. how can you knot,ahem....., have any ideas on what to make??

how about a green wood chest, with wainie edge cladding for all you new tools that you're gonna need to to do some of these projects?

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
make a shave horse, then a pole lathe, which could lead to making a chair from the willow. watch the mastercrafts series.
bullroarer, kuksas', spare hafts for your axes or new hafts for old axe heads. bowls, plates,railings for the garden if you get a froe n split 'em. how can you knot,ahem....., have any ideas on what to make??

how about a green wood chest, with wainie edge cladding for all you new tools that you're gonna need to to do some of these projects?

Ok, I get the idea! Are there any books or a basic set of tools that I need? I assume a green woodwork book and a draw knife as standard. What else?

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row

good idea ..............................................

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have some lovely seasoned fruit woods - tomorrow I'm going to take a chainsaw to them and have em on the stove.

Always feels like heresy, but I can't carve worth a damn and the stove has to be fed. Its huge rounds of ash and willow to be split after that. Some are three feet across.

Still a maul and wedges will solve that

Anyone in Lincs who wants some lovely pear wood for spoons sing out before I burn it (carver collects)

Red

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
I have some lovely seasoned fruit woods - tomorrow I'm going to take a chainsaw to them and have em on the stove.

Always feels like heresy, but I can't carve worth a damn and the stove has to be fed. Its huge rounds of ash and willow to be split after that. Some are three feet across.

Still a maul and wedges will solve that

Anyone in Lincs who wants some lovely pear wood for spoons sing out before I burn it (carver collects)

Red

would but dont have transport :(

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
You have been posting while i was away!

Thanks for the book link Baggy. I will check it out.
Someone has come and chainsawed a whole load over the weekend so I only got half of it away. I hope it spits when they burn it and it burns their carpet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE