Ivan's big Dartmoor meet - the aftermath - probably pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
well, home and fed, fresh cup of tea in a proper mug. not yet showered and still enjoying the aroma of woodsmoke and peat filtered water :)

will post our pics in due course but a very big thank you to Ivan, a great host with a lovely bit of land. we had great fun and reckon the same was had by all

highlight of the weekend other than the company and the wild woods would have to be watching Badger90 and the spoon meister Wayne nigh on killing themselves on the rope bridge assault course. cant wait to see the video and kill ourselves laughing again! :)

really hope Ivan enjoyed it as much as us :) If anyone else here is lucky enough to go and visit him, you wont be sad, look after him, a great guy :)

managed to get a couple photos this trip with my mobile (left the camera in the car all weekend)

Early sunday morning

03042011570.jpg

03042011571-002.jpg

Around midday sunday

03042011572.jpg

And here are the links to the photos I got the weekend before the meet down there.

http://s1024.photobucket.com/albums...ut short/Day 1 of the moors solo - cut short/

http://s1024.photobucket.com/albums...3 day solo cut short/Ivans secret wonderland/

http://s1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/Dartmoor 3 day solo cut short/

Feb 6, 2011
none
Well hello everyone , That was good fun , it went better than i could have wished for , a couple of things , i tried to steal a little of everyones kit so they had to return ! but i only ended up with ,Adams paracord, a rust coloured welders glove , a regatta waterproof ( fits nice ) 4 potatoes, an empy cider brandy bottle ! thank goodness thats empty ! a bag full of cans and dave53's tarp cord still in situ , so not a bad haul . Now at least some of you have to return . On a serous note , thankyou everyone for coming , putting up with my fussing , awful catering and all tidying up so well , i have had to go up there today and mess it up a bit , leave no trace my bottom! talking of bottoms i have sent you all swabs for dna sampling to back up the letter to the Guiness Book Of Records ,regarding the pooh i found , its impressive and a small horse would have been proud of that !! i cant put into one post all of my thoughts , so i will be back to remind you of some of the more memorable moments . Ivan ...

Feb 6, 2011
none
Oh just bin the swabs when they arrive , my mistake it was a small horse !! silly me , i will at some point , when i have your undivided attention , give an Oscar speech with special thanks and mentions to some . I have asked for a tenner back from my met office mole as there were moments it spotted with rain and for that i apologise .

Feb 6, 2011
none
A special thanks to some of the unsung heroes that couldnt make it .. Vickyjs that big tent was invaluable and it only took four nearly grown men half an hour to erect !! very happy with the size and condition . and the little loo tent was great for the kids etc. Also the help behind the scenes by Badger , Ed , James and Andy , cheques are in the post !

Feb 6, 2011
none
Not exactly thanks but special mentions ... Bushwhacker ( who by the way does in no way shape or form resemble a poacher ) Cider brandy ummm ! still reserving judgement but could listen to that man all night , sat next to him of course although up to 5 miles away with them bins's , and for his fruit related stories ! Pinky for his cat like qualities and swing management ( just a bit difficult to tell him and Nova apart ) dont think he will make the final of Masterchef though . Never actually seen a man run up atree barefoot .Freddyfish for his unflappable nature and invaluable help with computery things beyond the call of duty .Oh and his calming influence and millbank bag .And lastly in this segment , the swiss family robinson (sorry the jonajuna clan ) for showing how to go light with family in tow ! and being a lovely family . special thanks for finding Katies mobile !! and the wee drop of cactus juice ..

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
I wondered where my jacket went....

Will do a write up later when I'm home, but thanks to all for a great weekend :)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Great to meet everybody and everybody was great. Much thanks to Ivan for being such a hospitable and entertaining host and Nova & Pinky for the lift. All the youngsters were fab and kept their parents in check.
It's an excellent site, quite sheltered but with the open moors on the doorstep and no disturbance from 'normal' people. You have enough space to either mix or be on your own and it's not somewhere that I would ever get bored with visiting.

I will be back to fill up that cider brandy bottle again Ivan so watch out!

Oh, and if Steve can get a soundtrack on THE video, then here it is ..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_zzCLLRvE

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2011
none
Mentions in despatches , Jaysurfer for planning since Feb to go lighter than usual , Salad for anyone who cant think of a name (good reasoning behind that one !) dave 53 for being wonderfully patient and informative with Katie ( i have now lost my tarp hammock karabiners and paracord ) Emma87 for being rock hard , never under estimate the power of a woman !! ( similair comment applies to Joy ) Adam for winning longest traveller , and being there when ever you needed a hand ( and for the dvd mate oh and beer ! ) The children for being brill and having a cool time ! ( must move tent further from fire after watershed ! think they may have some new jokes ! ) Foxy for making sure i ate (yummy stew ) and mothering me as and when required .

Feb 6, 2011
none
Sorry there is more , SteveM for coming and chilling , sharing knowledge , advice and taking some fantastic photographs cant wait.. Andy Bruce for working his socks off ( he probably made them himself ) for discovering a neat little bushcraft spot , just a shame he couldnt stay for the lamb, after preparing the oven .

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
Not exactly thanks but special mentions ... Bushwhacker ( who by the way does in no way shape or form resemble a poacher ) Cider brandy ummm ! still reserving judgement but could listen to that man all night , sat next to him of course although up to 5 miles away with them bins's , and for his fruit related stories !

Pretentious and strawberries come to mind, and ofc in his inimitable accent :D

Pinky for his cat like qualities and swing management ( just a bit difficult to tell him and Nova apart ) dont think he will make the final of Masterchef though . Never actually seen a man run up atree barefoot .

Think you might need your eyes testing Ivan - I'm the considerably shorter and wider of the two! :lol:
I also don't have a penchant for hanging myself upside-down from the swings! :D

Last edited:

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
Ivan: ' let's keep the jokes moderate as we have impressionable ears present '

Bushwhacker: ' I went to the doctors with a strawberry up my....'

:):)

Feb 6, 2011
none
Maybe the last bit , i doubt it , thanks to Mayobushcraft for the wood and use of the trailer. But a very special word for Badger volunteering to be first on the assault course , and doing a wonderful job , but !! what about mbiker !! sorry new name mr spoon , 2nd on the course with a time of 1.28 to beat , i honestly dont think i have laughed so much in my life , in the woods anyway , if that magical few minutes are not an internet sensation , i will show my @rse to the town hall steps , and to go further if that doesnt make youvebeenframed , i will eat my hat , i literally cannot wait , be warned it is not suitable for those with a weak bladder !! one of the funniest things i have ever seen , and all on film folks . By the way 2.24 i think but nobody could have topped that ... pleas when watching keep your keeboard out of the way tear damage is not covered by insurance !!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE