its time for an axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
although i am still new to the world of bushcraft,i feel its time to purchase an axe.i am aware of the virtues of gransfor bruks axes but i"m not sure where to buy one. can anyone help me ??

M

magicaltrevor

Hi, I've recently upgraded to 2 axes! I'm building up quite an arsenal!

I previously got the Wildlife Hatchet as a gift which is very nice and often used it instead of a knife for some jobs. However I'd previously set my heart on the Small Forest Axe so I treated myself as an early christmas pressie. Got the hatchet from Woodlore and the Forest Axe from Survival School . There are of course others mentioned on this Forum which are just as good but I'd personally buy from Survival School again as the service is excellent!

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
I agree Outdoorcode is the way to go.

As for choice, the Wildlife hatchet is a good first tool, but later on you'll be hankering for a Small Forest Axe, for some of those bigger jobs.

My opinion

Mr Strop

leon-1

glen.manning@virgin.net said:
although i am still new to the world of bushcraft,i feel its time to purchase an axe.i am aware of the virtues of gransfor bruks axes but i"m not sure where to buy one. can anyone help me ??

Glen, I have a suggestion here which runs against the flow of what everyone else is telling you, so I am expecting the satndard burn the heretic type of reaction:D.

If it is your first axe and you have little experience of axes don't get a Gransfors Bruks, as the others have mentioned they are very good tools, but if you damage a £50 GB SFA you will be a little annoyed.
For a first axe something along the lines of a Fiskars axe will be good to learn axe-craft, they are cheap and easy to get any dinks out of in the event that you damage it. Some of the others here have used them and they will admit that they are not a finesse tool, but they do cut and cut very deeply.

If one of these is not to your liking have a look at the Wetterlings small hunters axe, which although it does not have quite the same worksmanship behind it as the GB they can be very good axes and cut as well as a GB at around £30, it will also provide with practice honing it to a good edge.

The Fiskars / Wilkinson Sword are very much the same as a Gerber axe (Gerber is a fiskars company) and they can be bought at the likes of B&Q or Homebase (that was where I got mine from, it's the axe I started with and it is still going strong now even though I have also got a GB Hunters axe).

The Wetterlings was available from outdoorcode as well a while back, I would suggest dropping him a PM to find out what the availability of them are.

Have a look through some of the past posts to do with axes and thier capabilities it will give you some more ideas, I hope this helps,

Leon:)

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
BURN THE HERETIC!

No only joking the advice is sound. Having said that I never used an axe before I bought my GB......................so for me it was a case of learning with the best tool........which suited me down to the ground and make me look after it and generally be more careful.
Its horses for courses and other such cliches, but really its down to you :)

Mr Strop

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
My GB SFA arrived today :)

Needed a few strokes with a strop to get it to shave hairs

Anything I should do before taking it into the field.
soaking the head end on oil maybe :confused:

Also any treament for the leather ?

thanks in advance

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Mad Mike said:

I did the Camp Craft course with Woodlore last August where they gave us a GB SFA. We were advised to remove the beeswax coating on the handle using a cabinet scraper. After a bit of scraping pour hot water over and the wood will get a bit 'hairy'. Take that fuzz off with more scraping. Repeat a couple of times. Then rub in a mixture of 5-10% turpentine in boiled linseed oil which has been gently warmed by the camp fire. Dry off surplus oil with a rag and then leave hanging up to air dry over night. Repeat a couple of times. In future treatments the boiled linseed oil will not need diluting with turpentine.

Ordinary boot polish is good enough to waterproof the leather mask although there are more expensive leather waterproofing agents if you really need to pamper your axe... :)

I'm not saying this is necessary, just relaying the suggestion from my course leaders. I haven't done this with my mini hatchet yet although I did treat the SFA like that on the course. It will be interesting to see how they each age.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Mad Mike said:
Needed a few strokes with a strop to get it to shave hairs
thanks in advance

Hi Mike
I was on the same course as Ris and would echo the advice on the helve, it helps to foster a mindset of looking after your axe. The reccomended treatment for protecting the head on the Camp Craft course was to paint the head with Gun Oil.

If you are coming to the Kings Wood meet I will have my gun oil with me and can do yours on the day. The best one to get is the Army issue one with the brush and dripper, however I can't remember where I got it from but I found the link on here:confused: so if anybody else can remember a good supplier.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE