It Floats!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
(Perhaps this should be in "Out and about" or under "Transport"?)

Launched my home-built canoe the other day:

xwak.jpg

And then SWMBO and I had a trip up and down the Gloucester and Sharpness canal for a couple of hours. Sadly no pics as my phone ran out of charge straight after I took the pic above - numpty!:togo:

I built it on a four-day ORCA course then took it home and stripped it down again, re-epoxied it, refitted seats etc. then painted and varnished it umpteen times. It's incredibly light and sits quite high in the water making it initially a bit wobbly until you get used to it. Feels like it could handle a fairly big load of kit. Secondary stability when the first chine digs into the water is great. Nice and easy to paddle and SWMBO is hooked! (Though she does want me to order warmer weather next time - pretty nippy on a windy canal in Dec.) Can't wait to get out and try soloing in it.

BTW the rather nice wooden paddles you might be able to see were my retirement present from my dept. at work - much nicer than those aluminium and plastic things I'm used to.

Graham O

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2006
North Wales
Very nice. I built one years ago and there is something special about building your own boat/canoe. And they always get lots of admiring glances from others. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks great!
My first real canoe was a home built, hard chine 4mm ply model (Alan Bridges Malamut) and it paddled beautifully. It survived many years of hard use as a guide boat for tourist trips on the River Tivy, as a personal pleasure boat on rivers up to grade 2/3 and was eventually retired when it developed dry rot ... but then someone wanted to buy it off me and its use continued for at least another season!
Initially it was just varnished and was known as "Honey" to reflect her looks and paddling temper but after a few seasons and repairs/reinforcements with my poor glassing technique I painted her gloss black and she became known as the Black Joke (complete with skull and bones stickers!
Love your new boat - but do not pamper her - she is tougher than you imagine :)
Happy paddling!

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Jim that's amazing, I'm going too make mine in spring. I would absolutely love it to look like that. Is there no end to your talents? Boss that mate.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
That's a really nice job. I would really like to attempt to build one myself, I need to start researching it more.

The Gloucester and Sharpness canal is a lovely place for its maiden voyage too, I've had lots of very pleasant walks along there :)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Thanks for all the positive comments, folks.

demographic - yes, it's stitch and glue.

ozzy1977 - I did the course with ORCA in the Lake District: http://www.orcadventures.co.uk Very intense but a great course.

Hopefully get out agin soon and then I'll get some more pics. I do have "step by step" pics of the build that I might post if anyone is interested.

It's does feel good to be paddling along in something that started life like this!:

p3hw.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I get great delight in seeing folks make their own boats :) I really do, and your's looks really trim :D
Brilliant idea for a course, and I could see there being a lot of interest in any other photos you might have.

I hope you get a great deal of pleasure out and about with her :D

atb,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE