Isley and Jura

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chrisp955

Aug 7, 2017
Runcorn
Hi. New member looking for some advice.
Although I'm a regular camper I'm going on my 1St wild camping trip over the bank holiday weekend. My 1St night is in a bunk house in Campbell town then two nights on islay and Jura then the 3rd night will be Dumfries Galloway area. I'm travelling on a motorbike so I can cover a few miles each day. Can any of the members recommended and good areas on my route to wild camp.

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Hi, recently did a few days cycle touring and wild camping on Islay and Jura with the family, lots of excellent wild camping spots to be found, I won't name them on a public forum in the interest of keeping them 'wild' but don't worry you'll have no trouble finding somewhere! Enjoy. :)

As for official campsites - there's a nice field right out the front of the pub in Craighouse on Jura, a perfect location for sampling the local 'water'

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
You can camp where you like in Scotland within reason. Wild camping isn't outlawed like Ongaland. Usual caveats about consideration, not leaving a trace etc.

Might be a bit out of your way but A night at Caerlaverock is always great, though better in winter when the birds are back. Yoiunused to be able to watch the badgers from the conservatory at night (with chosen beverage) :). Galloway forest is good too, but might be a little off the track for you.

There's plenty of areas to stop along the A83 on your way to/from Campbeltown.

I'm afraid I don't know those islands but I doubt wild camping is an issue.

Just in case, don't forget our drink drive/ride laws are differ at to England.

Chrisp955

Aug 7, 2017
Runcorn
Thanks for the response. Kit all sorted in taking my new slumit gobi and rab light tarp. I let you all no how I get on and load a few pics if I can manage to up load them

Chrisp955

Aug 7, 2017
Runcorn
Hi Mike. I'm going on my Triumph Explorer. I do have a 955 Daytona 2000 plate. But I can carry my gear much better on the Explorer

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Best bike to do it on, we will need lots of pics when you return. Enjoy mate :)
Ps . do a google for biker friendly accommodation, there are quite a few in Scotland ;)

MountainGoat

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2016
Scotland
How are you getting from Islay to D & G? Are you heading back to Oban?

If so, head along Loch Awe, but cut off and take the back road to Inveraray. Nice stop-off point. From there you can head via the Rest & be Thankful etc.

Alternatively, get the boat on to Arran (Lochranza), have a tour of Arran, get the Brodick ferry to Ardrossan, then head from there to D & G (head to Ayr then take the A713). This option is far preferable.

Suggestions for Dumfries & Galloway:

In terms of a great motorcycling road, head to Barrhill and take the Barrhill - New Luce road. Stunning, wild landscape. Very empty.

In D & G itself, Glen Trool is worth a stop-off.

Chrisp955

Aug 7, 2017
Runcorn
Thanks for all the replys. I was already home when I seen your reply Brynglas.
The trip didn't work out as planed. Still a great trip. After getting the late evening ferry from Ardrossan to Campbeltown I got bunk house for the night then just a 7 mile ride to Kennacrig for the 9,40 ferry to Port Ellen. The plan was to ride up to Port Askaig to catch the Feolin ferry. We got to the ferry round 2pm it had been raining all morning so we were keen to get to Jura and find somewhere to camp. Unfortunately the ferry had broken down and was going to be at least 2 days before the parts arrived. Nothing for it but to get a brew on and make a new plan. We decided to camp on Isley then head to Arron the next morning. We headed back to Port Ellen after riding as most of the roads on the island. Looking for a camping spot wasn't as straightforward as we had hoped. We eventually got a realy nice spot in the sand dunes near Kintra farm. I will try a post some pics if I can sort out how to. I will continue with the write up tomorrow.

Brynglas

Hi, I only saw your post today, so I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up with you. The weather has been a bit hit and miss up here for the past week.
Kintra is a lovely spot to camp. I know the facilities may be a little old compared to the site at Port Mor, but I think that it's a great place to stop. I spend a lot of time up here if you head back North. Jura is well worth a visit!

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

Chrisp955

Aug 7, 2017
Runcorn
Kintra farm a lovly place it wasn't what I was looking for as it's still an official camp site but like u say basic and we'll spread out. We gat as far away as possible got a fire going on the beach and cooked up our tea. The sun set and views over to Campbeltown town and Northern Ireland were fantastic. It's a lovly spot to spend a few days. I don't understand how you put pictures on to the thread. Do I have to put them on a photo site 1st?

Brynglas

I'm not sure about images, I think that if you're a member you shoukd be able to upload directly (?).

Weather is unpredictable here at the moment, I've been waiting for a settled spell to get over to Jura for a couple of days. Not sure if this is going to be possible before I head home at the weekend though.

Brynglas

I stay just outside Bowmore, my wife is from Islay so I spend quite a lot of time here at different times of the year.

The American monument on the Oa is worth a visit, it's the 100th anniversary of HMS Otranto sinking later this year so there are a number of events planned.
I was up at the Oa last week, the weather was dreadful though.
bf0a7ce086a7417fa3162b4db86c17b5.jpg
7647b3df894639fbf6ca9370ff35b3ba.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE