Isle of Man

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
My lad Sam (7) is keen to go on holiday on a plane but he hasn't got a passport. I'm thinking of flying to the Isle of Man from Liverpool in late April.

We can see the IOM from the fell tops here and it looks pretty cool so really keen to explore. We'll be on foot/public transport and will either camp/b and b depending on weather.

I've got the 1:25k Harvey map showing 'Public Ramblage'. Sam's a good walker and we'll probably do a bit of the coastal path but beyond that I'm struggling.

Any advice on what to do/where to go would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
It's years since I was there but I did a days walk from the south and camped beneath Snaefell. I walked a second day further north but I can't remember, my stop, start or route. The west is more remote but really it's so very heavily populated. I'd head to the lake district or Dumfries and Galloway.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Thanks.
The map looks really busy with some great place names. We're used to visiting the Lakes so are used to a fair few people about.

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
To get to Snaefel, catch the bus to Laxey (where the wheel is) and walk from there. It is very wet under foot in places. There are no buses to Snaefel.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Thanks guys, quite fancy the hill fort on South Barrule.

Hadn't thought of Northern Ireland, I'll have a look.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Check you are not going race season. (Its not just the TT) Unless you want to experience some traditional Manx Madness.

Cregneash folk village (in the south) is good, -and probably your best bet for meeting Stubbins and Loughtans. (Im sure he will want to see a tailess cat...Most have tails.)

A fine clear day, -you will go up Snaefell, -its compulsory (train from Douglas to Laxey and change for the mountain railway.)This is one of the most impressive views in the country.

The Chippy on the corner in Ramsey is good. (as is Bry Rads veg shed, -quayside in Ramsey.)

Jade Harbour Chinese resteraunt in Peel is very good.

Lots of opportunities for Bike ogling. IF YOU DONT LIKE TWO WHEELS THERE IS A BOAT IN THE MORNING.

Lots of opportunites for walking and just chilling. Cycling, horse riding and public transport also good.

According to the DOE website you can wild camp (but maybe its just for them.)

The Manx museum in Douglas is very good and educational. (And its got a Meglaceros skeleton in it.)

Several motor museums and an aviation museum.

The island is like Toyland, -its tiny but everything is fully functional, (The National Park is an arbouretum, and the railway is a tram line.) Nothing is for show, and its certainly not geared to tourists. Its busy and there is always something going on. (When I say it is busy the Manx are a very laid back race...busy in their own time.)

When I say its busy there are lots of wild places too.

Lots of birds, its also a good place for sea mammals (April too early for sharks.) East coast south of Maughold there are feral goats.

Enjoy! I hope one day to be a viking myself.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You may, of course be reluctant to take your son to a place that positivley encourages motorcycles and will be a bad influence on him.

It is a veritable paradise of bikers.

Be warned.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Brilliant, many thanks Tengu. That's just the sort of info I was after! Not anti-bike and Sam is a big Guy Martin fan.

Glyn287

Mar 24, 2015
Northwest
I'm off to the iom end of May with my 7 year old lad, we are going on two wheels to watch the practise sessions for the TT, he can't wait, we will probably do the usual tourist spots and obviously a lap of the track.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
If you want to fly then of course there is an airport just outside of Newquay (we are very modern in Cornwall...) (No idea where flights are from.)

My campsite is on the bus route out of town...They have Pods now.

Might be better weather in April.

But my first choice would be IOM

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Thanks, I left booking too late, and the "from £35" is now over £70. Sam's not too fussed though and we're going to leave it until late May/June.

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
http://www.iomtt.com/

Just so you know when to avoid.

I've just booked my ferry to marshal / medic out there for the tt. But I'm sure that fortnight will make the trip very different to the one you were expecting if the dates coincide.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE