Is your leather hat too big?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Having made a replacement for my "cowpat"-looking, oversize, earlapping leather hat; I've set about addressing the problems with it.

The probs were.......over size by about 3 cms.....rim was always creased and buckled...crown sides bulged in, then out, rubbish hatbraid. But, h3ll, it was a pressie from way away.

The only way I could see for a successful remedy, was a complete dis-assembly and, with the exception of the crownpiece, thats what I did, even to removing the brim trim-band and the supporting wire ( in fact it was just a length of thick nylon , like strimmer line).

From the sideband join, I removed a tapering triangular fillet of 1.5 cms from each side and then sewed it back together.....that bit was easy.

The rim; well there was no choice but to make a cut at the rear and remove two fillet pieces as well......and sew it back together.

The wire had ,clearly, never seated correctly, inside the trim bandand to fix this, I trimmed it to length and tacked it to the brim edge with a continuous marl hitching.

Longest job, was re attatching the trim band, over the wire and onto the edge of the brim.; about 4 hours of work.

Sewed brim back on to the crown; another 2 hours........cut and made a replacement braid 1 hour and job done.

Ploddy thing must have taken all of 15 minutes to make on the factory machines.

All in all, about 9 hours of work for me, but at the end, I've got a much better finished and better shaped hat which fits perfectly and looks a whole lot better.

No more packing it out with edgestrips and cloth....so, it can be done!

Now, where's that Guardspray?

Chuffed,

Ceeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE