Is this tinder fungus ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
well is it ? Or what is it, if it isn't tinder fungus ?
birchfungus2small5hi.jpg

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
the stuff isn't black, it a lighter color, with some green stuff over it.

if it is, how do you take tinderfungus off a tree ? Is it cut-able, or do you need a hatchet or saw for it ? And how do you cut it, any special ways ?

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'm not sure if thats a fungus at all -I obviously can't tell the size of it from that pic, but tinder fungus tends to not grow to a huge size.

There is a chance its a burl - which is like a knotty lump of wood growing on the side of the tree, at a place of damage to the tree. These are often covered in moss/algae and are hard. If its tinder fungus, you should be able to cut it off with a knife, and also cut into it - if its a burl, it will be harder than the underlying wood.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
its life jim - but not as we know it
I'm with match, looks alot like a burl to me.
But then that US pic of tinderfungus doesn't look right to me either ?
I thought Tinder fungus is "hoof Fungus" or Fomes Fomentarius and used to produce Amadou, to light from a flint and steel ?
Hoof fungus looks nothing like that. in the UK it looks like this :
Roger Philips mushroom guide

There is also the Birch bracket, that makes a brilliant coal extender, it will take from a firesteel, but i don't know about a flint and steel.

Birch bracket

And king alfreds cakes.....

king alfred cakes

Cheers
Rich

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I would suggest that that has resulted from an animal (such as Deer) stripping the bark.
I don't know for certain and hopefully someone with better knowledge will jump in but I've come across similar myself and that was the conclusion I came to.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I think Stew is right. Growth from tree-damage. A burl would be more smooth and you would see some twines grow on it.

You see this damage often on birch trees here. I tried to experiment with it for tinder after crushing it but it didn't work out.

Good question!
-Emile

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
In fact, I just remembered that I've got one of these in my garage drying out.

I took a couple of pics when I stripped it. I was hoping it would be a burl underneath. It is slightly but as you can just about tell, the wood was obviously damaged.

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

Should be able to produce something interesting from it.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Roving Rich said:
But then that US pic of tinderfungus doesn't look right to me either ?
I thought Tinder fungus is "hoof Fungus" or Fomes Fomentarius and used to produce Amadou, to light from a flint and steel ?

Yeah. this was my understanding aswell. What the US page calls "False Tinder Fungus" is what we call Tinder Bracket, Tinder Fungus or Horse Hoof Fungus. One of the Swedish names is Fnöskticka which literarely translates to Tinderbracket/fungus.

But im no expert.. i collected my first specimen last weekend ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE