Is this the cheapest food ever?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
When something's cheap it's usually for a good reason - either out of date, poor quality ingredients, or someone's profits have been squeezed to virtually nil by the supplier. And none of those sound desirable.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Well I ordered some. :D

Honestly I did. :rolleyes:

I threw in the crisps for kids lunch box snacks (okay not so healthy but the blighters like them), what I was interested in was the dried fruit and beef jerky.

5.25 delivery is for orders up to 28KG so I ordered around that amount of goods for our family.

We have a shop nearby that sells old stock that is either close to or past its BEST BY date (not sell by date) and it has always been good. The supermarkets and wholesalers that have this stock would dump it so I think that selling it cheap isn't a bad thing.

I often used to pick up food that was close to its sell by date from the cash and carry for home use. This was always food from their stock that hadn't sold, just like the "reduced to clear" goods in the supermarkets. I don' have a problem with it, I get a good deal and the food doesn't get thrown in a landfill.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I often used to pick up food that was close to its sell by date from the cash and carry for home use. This was always food from their stock that hadn't sold, just like the "reduced to clear" goods in the supermarkets. I don' have a problem with it, I get a good deal and the food doesn't get thrown in a landfill.

Thats the bit I'm more concerned with , wasting still good food for no good reason.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Exactly, I have just had the other half make 3 pinapple upside down cakes owver the past week and a half (yeah I love em) and the tins of pineapple rings were a year past their best before. Still looked, smelled and tasted fine on both the juice and the fruit. As we all know best before means thats when it tastes, looks, smells the best before, after then it may go down a bit. Obviously use common sense, dont eat something, that is growing a whole new something (unless its a potato)

Cooper90

I am not a tight wad....
But last year i had a good tidy out of all my old carp fishing gear and i found a can of all day breakfast which i must have purchased in 1996 as the expiry date was best before sometime in 1999, so it almost 10 years out of date.
I expected it to be minging....
But it was just as good as new no tummy problems or barfing what so ever!!!
I am sure that i read some time ago about someone eating a can of World War 2 Bully beef and he also said it was perfect
What gives?

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
When The Imperial War Museum opened a tin of carrots from Robert Falcon Scotts ill fated Antartic expedition in 1972, they found that they were still edible and in perfect condition after 60 years.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
What ever did we do before they put dates on things?
Oh yea, thats right, smelled, tasted, and looked for mould, to see if the food was alright.
Saw some potatoes bieng sold cheap the other day as they were on the last day of their best before date in Tesco's.
I seem to remember when I grew up on a farm that spuds lasted until the following crop was ready for picking, and flour, root veg, etc lasted as well.
Brother in law used to work at a meat factory where they repackaged the out of date meat and sent it abroad where they have a longer best before dates on most things.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
A ship sank here during the civil war. It was discovered a century later, and some canned goods found aboard were analyzed. Here's a quote from the report:

"Among the canned food items retrieved from the Bertrand in 1968 were brandied peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetables. In 1974, chemists at the National Food Processors Association (NFPA) analyzed the products for bacterial contamination and nutrient value. Although the food had lost its fresh smell and appearance, the NFPA chemists detected no microbial growth and determined that the foods were as safe to eat as they had been when canned more than 100 years earlier. The nutrient values varied depending upon the product and nutrient. NFPA chemists Janet Dudek and Edgar Elkins report that significant amounts of vitamins C and A were lost. But protein levels remained high, and all calcium values 'were comparable to today's products.'"

Last edited:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
For a long time I've eaten food which has been out of its best before and use by dates, in many cases by years, rather than months.

If tinned, I check the inner lining of the can for degradation, obviously I check the food by visual and olfactory means.

I have never had a bad reaction, which I put down to what we all used before such misleading dated existed.... Common sense!

It does make me laugh to see a best before date on sea salt!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE