Is this bird young or ill?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Found this guy snoozing on the bird table this morning. It flew off when I topped the food up and came back again but flew like a young bird still trying out it's wings. It looks to be a finch of some kind, possibly a greenfinch which are apparently quite susceptable to disease. We get the odd one or 2 of them now and then but it seems very early for a fledgling. I'm going to sterilise everything later anyway just in case it was sick.

031414_zps746beb4c.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yes, sterilise everything straight off, it is an adult greenfinch and there is a lot of disease about in the finch population. I've had three or four people spotted them in gardens hereabouts ( Lower Wye Valley) and hygeine is the first step in stopping whatever it is going through them like wildfire.
We had a major outbreak of it on the English side of the Wye a few years ago and they've only lately recovered from it............

I just hope it doesn't come like that again!

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Yes, sterilise everything straight off, it is an adult greenfinch and there is a lot of disease about in the finch population. I've had three or four people spotted them in gardens hereabouts ( Lower Wye Valley) and hygeine is the first step in stopping whatever it is going through them like wildfire.
We had a major outbreak of it on the English side of the Wye a few years ago and they've only lately recovered from it............

I just hope it doesn't come like that again!

I'm Heads of The Valleys so not too far in bird terms I guess. I try to keep everything pretty clean but I can't speak for the neighbours. I'll give it another scrub and a jeyes fluid bath later though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE