Is old Aluminium safe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Guys, I thought I'd give my old Swiss Army Volcano Stove an airing but on inspection, the water bottle is stained inside and very lightly pitted. Is it safe to drink from and is it safe to drink water that has been boiled in it. Cheers in advance.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can find some glass beads, put them into the bottle with a little water and swirl it around for a couple of minutes. That'll clean it all off and not do any damage or leave it tasting funny. The beads are used to clean out flower vases and the like, and not scratch them.

M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've had some old 60's/70's ally camping pots which went a bit dodgy, no matter how much I scrubbed them I couldn't shift the grey chalky layer, if yours are that bad mate I'm not sure I'd want to boil in them.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
If you can find some glass beads, put them into the bottle with a little water and swirl it around for a couple of minutes. That'll clean it all off and not do any damage or leave it tasting funny. The beads are used to clean out flower vases and the like, and not scratch them.

M

i've done similar with sand and water which has cleaned it out but theres pitting in the metal itself. Thanks Mary

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
You get pitting if the contents are acidic which attacks the aluminium. Clean off any loose stuff as Mary suggests and it's still fine for carrying plain water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE