Is my mug the Austrian issue one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Early P

Mar 8, 2021
Sheffield
I have had my mug for years and always believed it to be Austrian. However, whenever i have come across them online they have always been attributed to any other country but Austria. As a consequence i now have two different lids that don't fit because they are not for an Austrian mug. So still assuming this is of said origin, does anyone know where i can purchase a lid or know of someone who makes them please?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I don't own it, but in the first view it looks like the Austrian one, isn't it?

That's an Austrian shop who tells us that the mug he sells is Austrian army issue. (Bundesheer)

I think although Austria has a general conscription army there are compared to the US mug relatively few of these mugs. That's why I don't expect an aftermarket maker and I don't think that there is an issued one, as usual.

I am relatively well informed about what's offered at the market as I speak fluently German, French and English and spend quite a lot of time in bushcraft forums and on internet military surplus shop sites. And I spend my time with this hobby since decades and had a look in a lot of real surplus shops. I never have seen a lid for the Austrian mug.

There are a lot of videos at YouTube how to make such a lid from an aluminium plate.
I didn't do that myself but it looks pretty easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Early P

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
By the way:

Bundesheer field bottle aluminium, as good as new, and new old stock bottle pouch M75 they offer here for 20 €. Obviously the price is meant for the Austrian/German market, but I know that they delivered to France too, for example, and they surely speak English.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
Yes you are right, I had one of these a few years ago before I lost it in Australia , I loved it the handles don't rattle on them and it's a great size to. Where did you buy yours

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE