Is it pignut season?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
As the title suggests, I'm after some pignuts!

I have a day off tomorrow and I'm going camping in the evening so wanted to do some foraging. Am I too early for this? Also what sort of habitat will I find them in?

Hushwing

Feb 19, 2012
Stirling
Because the nut is a storage tuber for the plant then it is findable all year round (but of course new plants do need to build up the reserves that have been used over winter ) so would probably wait a bit otherwise will more likely be a futile exercise. Often find them easily in ancient or unimproved/not ploughed pastureland/meadowland/turf; or as the following link says amongst bluebells in lightly deciduous wooded areas and edges. http://www.naturessecretlarder.co.u...pignut-foraging-tutorial-conopodium-majus.htm - as it says beware of eating bluebell tubers, but looks like a scraggy small hazelnut if that helps. peel off the brown skin and eat raw or boil like potato. You really have to follow the delicate stem down gently. then near the bottom of the stem it turns right angles and the nut is at the end of it. So a lot of delicate effort to obtain a pea-sized nut. v. tasty but not much food per plant.
It is easier to find when in flower though (up here in Scotland that's nearer to late May/early July) - a very delicate umbellifer head. Main problem is that it can be confused with other umbellifers (umbrella headed flowers like cow pasley etc) but if the wispy feathery leaves are consistently the same size all the way down the stem then it probably is pignut - finding the nut is the answer!
Have to let you know that with all plants that you need the landowner's permission - in some cases like on protected nature reserves, SSSIs, etc you also need the permission of English Nature, Scottish Natural Heritage etc.
Hope this helps. >C

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A bit early yes - I find May a good time.

I have found them in fields, hedgrows and woodland setting. They seem to prefer cool and damp settings - a shaded hedgrow or the like

Red

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
As the title suggests, I'm after some pignuts!

I have a day off tomorrow and I'm going camping in the evening so wanted to do some foraging. Am I too early for this? Also what sort of habitat will I find them in?

As Red (Listen to this dude Red, he knows what he's talking about) said - a little early. I find them in woods on the edge of woods. I have a couple of places I know about in Yeovil and they are pretty dependable so if you're about here may'ish I'll show you...

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
I would disagree with the two fellows above, I was digging up pignuts and eating them an entire month ago, the season begins as soon as the leaves start to appear, it is now that the plants are starting to flower but the underground parts can be harvested long before this

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can believe there will be large seasonal variation by locale - I have apricots in blossom and rost damage within 24 hrs here. Light vs shade, microclimate all comes in to play. I hope Dirac finds some!

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
Haha I doubt the Irish species is different, but I recall seeing the pignut leaves starting to appear in the woods at some stage in early march

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
As with Bushwacker... Several about today while looking for black morels. Amongst ramsons and dog mercury on the woodlands floors. Took a photo for the foraging thread but left camera in work :p

Sussex (east) was looking very bare a few days ago, so even in a small country I guess it varys!

Last edited:

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
Thank you for all the information guys/girls, from what it seems it depends on local areas. I have been watching a lot of various trees and plants around my area, a lot of them are putting out leaves; the blackthorn is in full flower (I know they tend to be early) and the blossom is out on a lot of the trees in the gardens I work in. We have a weird microclimate where I live, with pockets of really warm areas suitable for plants needing hotter than average temperatures for survival (sub-tropical gardens etc) so I'm going to have a look tonight, but I will not be disappointed if I don't.

Again, thank you :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE