Is it me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Or is it a symptom of being on a forum too long or has the whole bushcraft scene changed? Hardly anything on here interests me any more. I look at a thread title and it's just met with a blank expression and quite often a headshake. :dunno:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
It's all cycles. Sometimes there are lots of new or interesting new things, other times it's perhaps a repetition of older stuff. Perhaps there's been an influx of new folk or the search is playing up.

It used to get me down seeing nothing I liked, but then that's me, and there are plenty of other people who gain from such posts. At the end of the day, there really is only so much bushcraft that can be 'new' or whatever, the rest is an interpretative point of view from everyone. It's how we look at things and compare it to others to see if we can learn, maybe not new things but new ways of looking...

At least that's my take on it.

Nag.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I'm with you mate. Although this is my third summer on this particular forum, it does follow a broad pattern. Autumn usually brings chat on kit (cold weather gear etc, winter is more about indoor projects and traditional crafts, spring is full of discussions on getting out there etc, in line with an influx of newcomers. Summer, to me at least, is a bit monotonous in forum terms. Sadly, its the season I get out least due to family and work commitments, but I do draw some solace from the discussions on the forum.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When I first joined bushcraft was very much more about getting out with basic kit, but other things have come along and use the bushcraft 'umbrella', so in some respects the whole thing has become diluted, lost focus in some ways so to find a topic that interests you becomes harder.

Look at posts from six years or so back and compare them to whats talked about today and to some BCUK would be seen as more of a general outdoor leisure/camping forum. Its evolved, all forums do, changed direction reflecting the way 'bushcraft' is more mainstream than it was.

After a while as with any hobby the same old stuff gets recycled, just stick with it Bushwacker and cherry pick stuff thats of interest to you.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
When I first joined bushcraft was very much more about getting out with basic kit, but other things have come along and use the bushcraft 'umbrella', so in some respects the whole thing has become diluted, lost focus in some ways so to find a topic that interests you becomes harder.

Look at posts from six years or so back and compare them to whats talked about today and to some BCUK would be seen as more of a general outdoor leisure/camping forum. Its evolved, all forums do, changed direction reflecting the way 'bushcraft' is more mainstream than it was.

After a while as with any hobby the same old stuff gets recycled, just stick with it Bushwacker and cherry pick stuff thats of interest to you.

Great reply.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But its pretty wide ranging.

My book, Kepharts `Woodcraft and camping` covers everything from no kit to huge fully equipped expeditions.

The main thing is to enjoy the outdoors.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

Too true. But it'll swing the other way again before too long. It always does.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The flora and fauna, tracking and fair game sections are barren compared to other sections. The situations they encompass are changeable, the same thing will never happen twice. How many times can one endure looking at a picture of a spoon or a pot of water boiling on a fire?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
As said, it's just the nature of hobbies and forums and life i suppose.
There are several walks i have nearby that can seem boring and uninteresting but then one day it all turns out to be magical and fresh again.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The flora and fauna, tracking and fair game sections are barren compared to other sections. The situations they encompass are changeable, the same thing will never happen twice. How many times can one endure looking at a picture of a spoon or a pot of water boiling on a fire?

My favourite forums those. I used to love our cold case threads.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I think because the term bushcraft is becoming a popular name alot of people who have little interest in old fashioned ways of doing things and making things but maybe just enjoy camping once a year but now with the added fun of having a knife in there pocket are maybe joining, no offence to anybody please.
I think there are possibly old fashioned members who enjoy the more natural aspects and modern members who like a gas stove and a air bed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE