Is it me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Or are the blackberries unusually early this year?

There are already plenty ripe on the brambles in this part of the country.

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have seen a couple almost ready for picking here too.
Unless the lack of rain has them all frizzle first - there should be a real glut this year :)
Wine, jelly, flavoured Vodka, pies, puddings, crumbles .... Mmmmmm!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Absolutely nowhere near it up in York. Still green.

Our raspberries are ripe but a very poor crop.

Hazelnut trees in the park are laden.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Our rasps haven't stopped for nearly two months now, and the brambles are all plum coloured but not yet purpled up. Going to be an enormous crop if they don't dry out too soon.

Makes you wonder just what Winter's going to be like....

M

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
In some areas here (south facing) they are almost ripe, in others the are still green.

Raspberries are doing really well.... had loads of the summer fruiters so far.....some from Autumn fruiters ( Left some canes standing from last year... they produce a summer crop) but absolutely loads set on the autumns, gonna be a bumper harvest come late august/september.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It does depend massively on the local subspecies - some will fruit very early, some very late. there are hundreds of different subspecies growing wild in the UK.

That said, I had a good crop of fully ripe blackberries last week, and i was surprised too!

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Getting close here in Derbyshire. A few are ripe - especially those in south facing patches

Heard a piece on Farming Today a couple of weeks ago that was saying that everything is about a month early - presumably as a result of the mild winter.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Getting close here in Derbyshire. A few are ripe - especially those in south facing patches

Heard a piece on Farming Today a couple of weeks ago that was saying that everything is about a month early - presumably as a result of the mild winter.

Yeah I took a walk around Findern yesterday and saw quite a few! Hoping to find a nice damson patch now I've settled in the new home

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
When I saw my Sloe patch this morning, I started to feel a hangover. It's going to be great.

Sadly (in terms of cash) my wife has had her hours reduced at work, but happily she has an extra day a fortnight off. I tongue in cheek suggested she spend at least two of them making me jams and preserves, she said 'Of course!'

Happy days to come.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Had lots of blackberries this week. Had my first greenguages a few days ago. Raspberries were hopeless this year, as were the cherries thanks to the birds. Had a few apricots this year, stacks of peaches and the figs have been ripening as fast as I can eat them! The apples are hanging like grapes... My mind is turning to juicing and cider making.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Our brambles aren't ready here just yet, we're a wee bit higher up and further north. We did get our first crop of chanterelles from a nearby wooodland last week. That's early for here, and they were very tasty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE