Is elder poisonous?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Is the wood from elder poisonous? Just a question after I heard this on a video from "eat the weeds"
Mears uses it as a drinking straw in one of his Country Tracks episodes and I had never heard of and toxicity in the wood before :)

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
I've also heard it's poisonous but the worst I've heard of someone being ill was feeling sick after chewing on an elder whistle all day. I don't think it's something to worry about to much, just be aware of it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The leaves and bark aren't to be eaten, and some people can't eat the fruits unless they're cooked first.
Otherwise, whistles, blowpipes (illegal nowadays) and blow pokers seem to be fine.
It also makes good fire spindles and hearths :D

cheers,
Toddy

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I recently read an article somewhere or other stating all parts of elder to be poisonous.

The problem here is the absence of a definition of "poisonous", no points of reference and nothing to justify their conclusion. My initial reaction was Poo-Poo!

However, 10 minutes research this morning has identified that elder contains hydrocyanic glycoside and, while avoiding lengthy descriptions...

"Hydrocyanic acid inhibits the enzymes necessary for transport of oxygen from blood to tissues. It has a strong affinity to cytochrome oxydase, forming a link which results in immediate inhibition of cellular respiration. The resulting energy deficiency can cause a breakdown of the central nervous system and death ensues from generalised cytotoxic anoxia."
(The European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products; 1999)

Just as well our ancestors were unaware of this, although clearly aware of how to process their various foodstuffs, as I'd make not too wild a guess that elder has not only been used for hundreds of years for wine-making, medicine and a source of vitamin C for the winter ahead but was a resource our ancestors probably looked forward to, delighted in gathering and whose quality of life depended upon.

And we call them Primitives?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well said :D

Elders are funny things. The old Scots rhyme for them is very descriptive, and folklore is rich in tales of the tree and the hag that lives in/ protects it.
However, every tree is different. They all smell different, while still being unmistakeably Elder. Some smell sweet, some smell of cat pee :dunno: Some taste sweet and others taste almost tanniny.

I usually advise folks to have a wander and a tiny taste of as many trees in their locality as they can, that way they can suss out the tasty ones for collecting 'before' they get caught up in a hurried gather when they all ripen at once.

I use two trees for flowers for drying, and the flourish stays white from them, and the tea (or cordial) is very sweet and perfumed :D But I try to get fruits from a different tree since that one produces big sweet, almost blackcurrant sized berries.

The fruits from yet a different tree give me deep rich dyes.

As I said, all different. :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Elders are funny things ... However, every tree is different. They all smell different, while still being unmistakeably Elder. Some smell sweet, some smell of cat pee...

They all smell like cat pee to me. :( But there's no doubting that some make much better wine than others, no matter what I think they smell like. The differences are really very striking.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Well said :D Elders are funny things. The old Scots rhyme for them is very descriptive, and folklore is rich in tales of the tree and the hag that lives in/ protects it. Toddy

"Elder is The Lady's tree, burn it not or cursed you'll be."

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know it as the Bourtree.

Bourtree, bourtree, crookit rung,
Ever weak and never strong,
Flower and fruit, both sae sweet,
Ne'er trust a stick beneath your feet.

It cracks unexpectedly if someone tries to climb it.

cheers,
Mary

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have used elder for pipes, straws, whilstles and mozzie repellant. In regards to its strength i have seen bows made from it which shot fast and accurately.
In regards to burning, the stuff is like aspestos. In regards to toxicity,,,, well i am writing this post.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE