Irish meet MK2 july?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
ok, as there have been a few mentions of meets for us irish types lately i thought i would drag another "meet" thread out into the light to see how it looks. (*argh!!the light! it burns!*)
as has been mentioned in this othe thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30946
it looks like there will be a meet in october in Co.Down (all going well). sounds great to me.

if anyone is interested in something sooner i could probably organise something in Gort, Co.Galway for a weekend in July sometime. woodland with permission to do our thing, bunk houses for those too soft to kip outside. shower house for toiletry needs.

if i get a show of hands on this one, accompanied by a vote of which weekends of july you would prefer (and which you cannot make) i will try get the ball rolling on this one.
what say you folk?

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
ok, all seems good to go for a meet in Gort from the 18th-20th of july. this date was chosen primerily because the next weekend is galway races, and that is a pain in the **** time to be trying to get into galway area.attending will be myself and my friends, many of whome have no bushcrafty experiance at all, so it will. be a friendly introduction to hanging out in the woods.
cost = free, technically. i have not discussed money with Flor or Marian (landowners) and i am naturally not looking for money myself, but bringing gifts (financial or otherwise) for Flor and Marian to help them keep their beautiful woodland and excelent facilities would be appreciated.
insurance = not a chance. we wont leave you to die if you stab yourself though :) there will be capable first aiders an site.
food = bring your own. bring all sorts of stuff. i am sure food will be traded and exchanged. if anyone has anything interesting. cooking will be over a campfire and / or camp stoves.
equipment = bring what you can. i will bring what ever spare kit i can. tents, foam mats, tarps etc. but the more potentially self sufficiant you can be, the better. if you are short on a bit of kit, PM me and i will see if i can hunt you up something.
activities = its really up to yourself. play with fire, build natural shelters, do a bit of archery (if you have a bow. leftys can borrow mine), make your spoons, try out peoples kit, paddle on the nearby lake (if you have a canoe) play music. any further things you would like to try, just add say and we will see if its feasable.
so far, there are about 6 confirmed to be there. i would really like to make it an even dozen at least, so if you can, come along. hope this suits people.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
excelent. glad to have the two of you coming along. so far it is full steam ahead. i am really looking forward to it. it will be a blast.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Good stuff.

You mentioned that people may need to borrow equipment in one of your posts. I have a couple of spare 2/3 man tents and misc. pots and pans that I can bring along if people need them for the wkd. Let me know if you need anything.

Hi,

I am thinking of attending if that would be OK.
I will be driving up with our Land Rover, and I will be travelling from Belfast to Dublin to pick some people up and then over to Galway. I currently have 4 places free, if anyone is interested in travelling up with us, then please let me know. (info@wild-live.org or PM) It would be nice to have all 7 places taken.

Kind regards,

Anthonio Akkermans

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
antonio. course you are welcome. we will probably have a few people needing transport from dublin. i will let you know once we have a solid list of who is coming sorted and how they are traveling. thanks very much for the offer. so far even my transportation isn't confirmed. so if anyone has vehicle room, post up here. also anyone with no vehicle post up. personally, i have no vehicle, but should get down with Donal. hopefully :) lol.

so far the list is looking a little like this from bushcraftuk

irishlostboy (+1)
preacherman (+1?)
loz
nicolas(+1?)
antonio (+2?)
(partners etc. question mark = to be confirmed)

add about five more from other places, and its looking like a good meet to me. thanks all for getting involved with this.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
there are pics of the wood on my blog http://irishlostboy.blogspot.com/ not very informative.
re space we have to work with. we will have a large enough mixed broadleaf woodland. some fields (for archery, tents, whatever) there is a crannog with a ger on it. (and also an amazing spring well. best water i have ever tasted) there is a bunk house with two rooms of four bunks per room, a kitchen, a wash house with 3 showers and two composting toilets. the woodland will provide space for tents/ tipis/ hamocks etc for all. as well as plenty of space for use to do our thing. i dunno the acreage. i have not actually fully explored its limits.
re; getting there. the location is five miles outside of Gort, Co. Galway. i will do up exact directions etc. the best bet would be all to meet in Gort and convoy from there. i will probably try do up a map though also.
how does that sound?

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Sounds Cool.

I got my official ok from the missus over the weekend, so im now definiate to attend.

If anyone has a spare tarp to fit over a magikelly hammock ? - ive a second hammock i'll bring down if anyone wants to use it.

Loz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE