IRC chat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I must admit I like the idea of a chat room.... I popped in to say hi but no-one was in :-(
Maybe we should organize an internet meetup on irc, a weekly chat or something.

:)
Ed

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Sorry fellas,
Like i said that was just a tempory one.. i was going to try make it a registered channel, but the quakenet irc server doesn't allow registered channels that aren't to do with gaming.
Have to see what Tony thinks about it all etc.
Is a good idea i think though.

Cheers :)
Carlo

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I'm in there now and will leave it open as long as my connection holds up, it's on notify so if anyone comes in and I'm around I should hear it. I do have to go and cook dinner and things though...

Nick in Belfast

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
There was 3 of us in there last night, Viking, Great Pebble and me...
was a good laugh.

Think we'll need to organise a time to meet in there though.
I guess we can do that after we've tested it out and if we all like it and Tony says "yes" .... and we register the channel on a proper server :)

Cheers :)
Carlo

ps. Going to hang in there all day if i can, just incase someone joins in, pop in and say hello :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Giancarlo has done a good job sorting this out, thanks :biggthump

As Giancarlo says, we will put a password on it. Keep in mind that you are responsible for your own actions in the chat room, treat it well and it will be something useful that will benefit us all.

use the bugs section of the forum for the chat room if there are any problems and stick to this thread for general chatter about it.

Cheers and enjoy :biggthump

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
One of the big problems with forums and chatrooms is knowing if there is anyone in there. I used to have a java IRC client integrated into the BB forums, it looked great and login was automatic with the forum username - the only problem was it was always empty. Because it was always empty, no one looked in there. Now I use PHPMyChat, which isn't nearly as good as IRC, but I've been able to fix a hack which shows people in the chatroom in real time. You can see who's in there and decide to drop in to join them, or not as the case may be. Not nearly as good as IRC, but now at least it gets used.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Whats happened to the chatroom, when i type in #bushcraftUK i don't get the registered server.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Ed said:
I think the IRC chat room has been closed down now that the php chat linked to the forum home has opened.

:)
Ed
To be honest, I don't know. Giancarlo is the person to ask ...

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Giancarlo if you want a good, fairly quiet IRC server thats free to register channels, all the usual netword autoops, etc is included have a look at irc.oftc.net . I use it a fair amount at the moment with another forum (nothing bushcraft related) so if you need any more information on it just give me a yell.

Also have you played with eggdrops..... arrggg, endless fun... and frustrating...

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
to be honest it should still be there.. me and few others, Al / Grummit etc, still go in there.
I can see what you mean about a registered channel though.. hmm, it seems to have lost that.

That sound like a good idea Lith, the main reason we didn't use it as much, is because we couldn't add eggdrops or anything to the quakenet server, have anything reporting back "who's on the chat room now" type of affair.

cheers
Carlo

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The problem with all the irc based chat's is that you need to run an eggdrop on yor server to pull the "who's chatting now" info as tant says above. But.... very few host will allow you to run bots on thier servers. Doing so, usually breaks your TOS with the host and will get your site shut down. So unless you own your own server, or are renting a dedicated server - you're out of luck.

The only chat proggy I know odf with a functional "who's chatting" feature, is PHPMyChat - which is crap, but it does offer basic functionality.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The probelm with a chat room is it takes up so much time - at least with the forum you can post, get on with your life and then come back to it later.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE