Invited to Thailand, never been. Tips?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Hi there,

I might be about to go on my second trip in as many months. My friends have invited me to join them for a week in Krabi, Thailand. I've never been there, so if anyone has any tips I'd be grateful. It's last minute (if I'm going it'll be wednesday!), so I don't have much time for research, or want to do it after I get back and find out what I missed!

Tripadviser certainly sells it well as a destination for our sort of thing, but it can't hurt to ask for more advice...
"The southern Thailand town of Krabi serves as base camp for exploring the province of the same name, a lush region of jungles, limestone cliffs and idyllic isles floating just offshore in the Andaman Sea. Buddhist shrines still used by local monks are tucked into the chambers of the town's top attraction, Tiger Cave. The riverside pier links travelers with ferries and longboats to the best scuba diving, rock climbing and white sand beaches on the coast."

Thanks,

Phil

Last edited:

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
If your single and go to the bars, here is one piece of advice i was told when i went to the Philippines.

Always cup before a kiss...........if you get my drift.

Some of them lady boys look awfully like girls, especially when under the influence lmao.........

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Been a long time time since I went to Krabi. Last time was two weeks after the Asian Tsunami.
A trip to Pipi Island is said to be worth it. I'm sure it looks different now than when I was there.
Take a look at the Thaivisa forum, for all the info you want, including the elections and impending military coup, (maybe).
Don't let it stop you going though, it'll probably never happen.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
If your single and go to the bars, here is one piece of advice i was told when i went to the Philippines.

Always cup before a kiss...........if you get my drift.

Some of them lady boys look awfully like girls, especially when under the influence lmao.........

Nail . . . . Head . . . . . Direct hit. :goodluck:

Dandaman_24

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2007
W Midlands
Pi Pi island is a big tourist hot spot, was too touristy if you ask me, about £20 for a day trip on. Boat with about 50 people.
however we also went on a deep sea fishing trip all day for £20 here were only 8 of us on a big boat, plenty of time to sun bathe, fish, swim and snorkel, oh and what you catch you eat !!

my advice would be to avoid Pi Pi and do fishing trip, even my OH loved the fishing trip.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Sounds like we're all on the same wavelength! Less ladyboys, more barbecuing fish on the beach!

Seriously, it sounds like I could put together a nice week there: bit of a jungle walk, try to ride an elephant/sea kayak/sailing boat, etc, and try to visit an isolated island by fishing boat and barbecue something. My two friends will mostly want to stay by the beach, but I can do a couple of day trips like hiking alone if they don't want to come. I keep tropical fish, so even without being a beach person, snorkelling would be fascinating and give me time with them.

Thanks again!

PS Not ignoring the political situation. I think these things are normally localised to political centres, not beach resorts, islands, and patches of jungle, but I'll keep an eye on it.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
PS Not ignoring the political situation. I think these things are normally localised to political centres, not beach resorts, islands, and patches of jungle, but I'll keep an eye on it.

So long as they don't decide to stage a sit in at the airports again, although right now that does seem unlikely. They seem more inclined to duke it out on the streets.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Krabi "town" is very developed, within easy reach of a few national parks (phanom bencha is good) and some good caves though if thats your thing. Renting a moped here is a pretty good idea, make sure you get a helmet.... (the local police enjoy the revenue from tourist fines). Wat them seua/tiger cave is well worth the trip, amazing views, just get ready to sweat your **** off climbing the mountain. I particularly enjoyed the prayer/vending machines.... the irony....

If you want a less developed island, i can recommend koh ya noi (theres even a place with a shack half on stilts that the rising tide washes under - sabai corner, very basic, and cheap). For something that can combine small scale development and national parks and typical thai beaches, theres koh lanta (this sounds a good gambit if you have to keep friends happy too)

Kayaks: lots of places rent them, usually tied in with a guided tour.
Snorkelling: isnt really worth the effort, its mostly sand/mud and sea grass.d and sea grass.

Tips:

If you get a ferry, make sure you're sitting OUTSIDE the super structure. they're not the safest in terms of loading....
Watch out for elephants with knives (it'll become clear in krabi!)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE