Interesting article on Navigation and Magnets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
And a nice feature if you spend a longer time enjoying yourself in the wild is - a compass is very light, compared to a GPS.
You can have at least one more chocolate bar in your pack.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Shotguns for grouse, a Coleman cooler full of lunchy things, finger-foods, nibbles and drinks.
Up 20+km on some logging road. Stop next to some rushing creek. Out with the folding chairs.
Sit in the sun for a while with food & drink. Never alcohol. Plan supper. Shoot some chickens (aka grouse).

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Bowron. I've hunted and fished the Bowron River valley, as far south as Haggen Creek, for more than 40 years.
Never did the lake loop, after work, not too fond of canoes any more. I need spark plugs. One will do.

I was in there to see the valley forest blow-down that the Russians could see from MIR, in the winter.
That's life. Now I live just over the next hump to the east on the Fraser.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
Cellphones, at least they can work out roughly where you are from the base stations. But with satelite phones, they don't have that. So you could still call for help, but where to send help to?.....
But, with a good compass, you probably would not be needing to call for help.

Though modern GPS will work with supprisingly limited sky view. It's something we see in 'urban canyons'. Where the buildings either side are tall and you only see a strip of sky.It may just take a bit longer to get a fix. That may make a SPOT tracker a little more reliable, if you were out in the deep bondu.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE