Interesting alternative for the Kelly Kettle fans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I came across this whilst idly browsing sorry if it's a repeat (I did do a search!):

http://www.theboilerwerks.com/

A young outdoor enthusiast over on Backpacking light (The US version) called Devin Montgomery liked the concept of volcano/ storm kettles/ chimney stoves but, like me, lamented the fact that they weren't really practical for solo/ backpacking use (too much bulk for what is just a water boiler - albeit a very efficient one). So he set about designing his own. Three years later and it looks like it will go into commercial production.

For those that recognise the similarity to the mkettle (manufactured here in UK): Apparently the mkettle manufacturer (who, again, apparently isn't British) ripped off his design from the same website - BPL). Apart from supporting original design, I think Devin's looks better - because apart from anything else - it's hard anodized (I have an aversion to bare aluminium).

I have no connection with this other than being an interested punter.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Mkettle is a better price I believe. Is it really a rip off or was the boilerwerks guy just making another kelly kettle product albeit with a better look or practicality but still copying the prior art that is in the kelly kettle or the ghillie stove. Neither of these products are new design really so you can't rip off a rip off of a basic tech that is in the public domain. The fact that the guy took 3 years to develop it and did that online doesn't matter.

Onn the otherhand the Mkettle guy is over here in the UK and probably Europe the boilerwerks guy is in USA and Canada and some afficionados in UK and Europe. Who's got the bigger market to go after then?? Not Mkettle so I think Boilerwerks guy will be ok even if some of us get thee mkettle.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Apparently the mkettle manufacturer (who, again, apparently isn't British) ripped off his design from the same website - BPL)

I think I'd say allegedly ripped off - for legal reasons doncha know!
This is one of the reasons that I declined to carry the mKettle in my range. Another being that it wasn't lighter enough or smaller enough compared to the Kelly 1pt to justify the extra cost.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE