Interest in Baofeng UV-82 Group Buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just checking before I go contacting sellers for their best price but would members here be interested in a Group Buy of Baofeng UV-82 Radios?

http://www.baofengradio.co.uk/uv-82/

[video=youtube;4jbeReBheEc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jbeReBheEc[/video]

I appreciate due to Postage and Packing this may not make much financial sense from a single purpose point of view but if one was interested in purchasing multiple units with the various additional whistle-and-bell attachments this may make some sense.

So really just testing the water , any interest out there?

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I dont know diddly squat about these things. Are these what you see the plane spotters holding, sat at the end of runways? Do people listen to police channels on these? What are they for? Are they a prepper thing? Dont know anything about ham radio.

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
I dont know diddly squat about these things. Are these what you see the plane spotters holding, sat at the end of runways? Do people listen to police channels on these? What are they for? Are they a prepper thing? Dont know anything about ham radio.

I may be wrong, but I don't think they can be programmed as airband or police band scanners. I think they are just for 2 way communication

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Any idea what sort of range these are good over ?

They look like they're the next model to supercede the UV 5r. I have that particular radio and I've hit the repeater from 18 miles; once on the repeater, it can go 100 or so miles.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I may be wrong, but I don't think they can be programmed as airband or police band scanners. I think they are just for 2 way communication

If I'm correct about it being the next step from the UV 5r, then yes, it will receive police bands; at least the police bands and fire bands here fall in the 70cm range. But the air bands are below the frequency range of this radio. www.hamgear.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/review-baofeng-uv-82

Last edited:

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
Pretty sure you can't in the UK, the tetra digital network we use here is pretty secure I'm led to believe.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Guys , just to make it clear I'm NOT an authority on Ham Radio Units , I passed my foundation some time ago and need to pull the trigger on getting a unit to getting on the air with and initially listening in with.

As I understand it these Units are on of the latest ones from Baofeng and although are a cheap entry model are very servicable and functional and getting good reviews.
I'm just seeing if there is sufficient interest to run the GB to get the already great low price down further.

Cheers

TD

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yup sorry. Sorta hijacked the thread slightly. Definitely interested though

No apologies needed mate.

In fact I'm more than happy to discuss other units as the 'base model' if people can suggest one. Also what other add on's we may want included in the unit price.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never used the UV82 but as I said, I have the UV5r. It may be comparatively cheap (meaning inexpensive) but it's well built and gives excellent service for a hand-held. If the UV82 is anything like it, you'll be well pleased.

My only complaints are:
-the included user manual isn't very good
-your really need the computer interface cable to properly program it (but if you have it, or have access to a friend with it, their great)

You asked for suggestions about other base models. The UV-5r I mentioned is good, although obviously the older of the two models. Whatever radio you decide on, I'd suggest getting spare batteries along with the initial order. And a better antennae will improve your range but you will likely have to get that aftermarket.

Last edited:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales

Just to be clear guys, Paul is correct in that these units will not access the Police, fire or ambulance communications network. The UK's Tetra/Airwaves system is digital, encrypted and uses the public mobile phone network. They moved away from VHF quite a few years ago.

What these handsets will pick up is the VHF frequencies used by Mountain Rescue, Coast Guard, shipping, taxis, events coordination and other civilian uses. I believe that these frequency ranges are free to use. Although they are monitored by a government agency (a branch of Ofcom?) and organisations can be denied the use of certain frequencies if they don't follow some simple rules of appropriate use (e.g. using naughty words!).

These are 5 watt units, which is the same as those used by Mountain Rescue. They rely on line of sight when transmitting to other units. Their operational range can be 5 or 6 kilometres or more in good conditions (on high ground in south Wales we can sometimes pick up taxi drivers in Somerset!). While in poor conditions it can be less than 500m, due to obstructing features (e.g. hills), magnetic/iron rich minerals in the ground (as found in some areas of the Brecon Beacons) or even very heavy rain if the batteries are running a bit low.

TeeDee - I'm interested in a unit or two (maybe more if the price is right and a few of my team=mates are interested). The A/B preset channels could be very useful. In MR we often have radios set to the team operational channel while monitoring other channels (e.g. RAF rescue winching channel). Having a single unit able to operate on both will reduce the need for parties to carry 2 units on separate channels.

if this goes ahead could you also check on the price of spare batteries, car kits and weather proof covers?

Thanks,

Nigel.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just to be clear guys, Paul is correct in that these units will not access the Police, fire or ambulance communications network. The UK's Tetra/Airwaves system is digital, encrypted and uses the public mobile phone network. They moved away from VHF quite a few years ago.

What these handsets will pick up is the VHF frequencies used by Mountain Rescue, Coast Guard, shipping, taxis, events coordination and other civilian uses. I believe that these frequency ranges are free to use. Although they are monitored by a government agency (a branch of Ofcom?) and organisations can be denied the use of certain frequencies if they don't follow some simple rules of appropriate use (e.g. using naughty words!).

These are 5 watt units, which is the same as those used by Mountain Rescue. They rely on line of sight when transmitting to other units. Their operational range can be 5 or 6 kilometres or more in good conditions (on high ground in south Wales we can sometimes pick up taxi drivers in Somerset!). While in poor conditions it can be less than 500m, due to obstructing features (e.g. hills), magnetic/iron rich minerals in the ground (as found in some areas of the Brecon Beacons) or even very heavy rain if the batteries are running a bit low.

TeeDee - I'm interested in a unit or two (maybe more if the price is right and a few of my team=mates are interested). The A/B preset channels could be very useful. In MR we often have radios set to the team operational channel while monitoring other channels (e.g. RAF rescue winching channel). Having a single unit able to operate on both will reduce the need for parties to carry 2 units on separate channels.

if this goes ahead could you also check on the price of spare batteries, car kits and weather proof covers?

Thanks,

Nigel.

Yes they are line of sight, but they do have the capability to program for use with your repeater network.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My only complaints are:
-the included user manual isn't very good
-your really need the computer interface cable to properly program it (but if you have it, or have access to a friend with it, their great)

Ref the Manual - I think thats very true , I've seen a few intrepid souls produce PDF downloadable manuals which I will try to locate.

The other point ref the interface cable is something we could get around with a 'post it on' agreement between ourselves but they arn't big money more of an PITA.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Thanks,

Nigel.

Will do. Cheers for the interest.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Yes they are line of sight, but they do have the capability to program for use with your repeater network.

I'm not familiar with these units. The ones used by MR can be set up to use repeaters. I don't think this is s special feature of the units we use, they're just programmed with the frequencies of the repeater masts.

I don't know what the situation is in the UK with regard to repeaters. I know of 3 or 4 in south Wales but these are set up for and maintained by Mountain Rescue England and Wales. Is there a publically accessible repeater network in the UK?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm not familiar with these units. The ones used by MR can be set up to use repeaters. I don't think this is s special feature of the units we use, they're just programmed with the frequencies of the repeater masts.

I don't know what the situation is in the UK with regard to repeaters. I know of 3 or 4 in south Wales but these are set up for and maintained by Mountain Rescue England and Wales. Is there a publically accessible repeater network in the UK?

Most amateur radio clubs maintain repeaters for VHF and UHF frequencies. Here's a UK amateur programming a Baofeng for amateur repeater use http://youtu.be/41ylXyQ0l3k

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE