insurance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Do you get standard insurance deals or is there something specially available for bushcrafters?

I get my leaders insurance through the BMC for liabilty etc but it is really only specific for mountain/exped leaders.

What do you do for the meet ups Tone, do you need to have some kind of system in place with landowners etc,regards the public and all that stuff that seems to be choking our society today, ie can't play conkers and all that or throw snowballs etc.

Do insurance companies recognise bushcraft/survival, ie fires, eating wild food, trapping etc.

Chris :wave:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Me too! I was looking for the thread on bushcraft insurance there was once, but there were only three with no replies. :roll: :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
chris said:
Do you get standard insurance deals or is there something specially available for bushcrafters?

I get my leaders insurance through the BMC for liabilty etc but it is really only specific for mountain/exped leaders.

What do you do for the meet ups Tone, do you need to have some kind of system in place with landowners etc,regards the public and all that stuff that seems to be choking our society today, ie can't play conkers and all that or throw snowballs etc.

Do insurance companies recognise bushcraft/survival, ie fires, eating wild food, trapping etc.

No idea! I know that a few members have looked into it and not got very far.

The mountain type stuff seems much more main stream so it’s not surprising that it’s easier to get insurance. I expect that as outdoor centres, councils and other institutions offer more bushcraft like courses it will become better known and thus easier to accommodate. There is a huge movement in these sorts of organisations to offer something like this and they will have to be accommodated.

The meet ups are just that, a group of friends getting together, so many of the insurance considerations that schools and instructors have to consider don’t apply. It’s mates showing each things they know.

You’re probably better off contacting the schools to find out if the insurance companies recognise bushcraft/survival and what that involves with fires, wild foods etc..I’m sure that they would be more than happy to fill you in. If you find out anything mention it on here, as I said, the question has come up a few times.

Adi has already pointed out a much more useful thread which I’m sure explains things much better than I could. :biggthump

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Thanks Tone

I'll contact one or two of the schools to see how they set there insurance up, I might speak to BMC also.

If I come up with something new I will let the forum know.

Seems weird they don't recognise bushcraft/ survival activities as it seems so popular.

S

Survivorbility

I don't know if you have spoken to the Institute for Outdoor learning on this subject but they recommend 'Jardine LLoyd Thompson' Leisure division (Gloucester 01452 511400). You can get cover for most 'outdoor' activities including survival and bushcraft training and if you are a member of the named institute they give a handsome discount!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Survivorbility said:
I don't know if you have spoken to the Institute for Outdoor learning on this subject but they recommend 'Jardine LLoyd Thompson' Leisure division (Gloucester 01452 511400). You can get cover for most 'outdoor' activities including survival and bushcraft training and if you are a member of the named institute they give a handsome discount!

Thanks for the info i shall give them a call tomorrow. :super:

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Hi survivorbility

Thats good stuff,

I spoke to a couple of companies, my enquiry was recieved with suspicion from some but well by some others.

This seemed to be the same that the schools use, being members of the outdoor institute and getting the JLT survival/bushcraft policy.

The girl at the BMC insurance number didn't know what bushcraft was :roll:

Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE