Insect repellent that doesn't eat plastic.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
I have just bought some 'Pyramid' Repel 55 and Repel 100 has anyone had any use issues?

it seems ok on the back of my hand and on my arm so i'm not to worried about that side of things, however this plastic issue im worried about, any help or opinions greatly appreciated.!

Adam.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Toddy, do you reckon your pine tar soap helps to deter insects? On a purely anecdotal basis we used to reckon that the old formula Wrights coal tar soap worked quite well but the formula was changed because the coal tar was carcinogenic! Wood smoke is always reckoned to help, and I'm fairly sure that my pine tar soap helps a bit too. I'm one of those horrid people that the insects don't like but Mr Cranmere is an insect target and he swears by pine tar and bog myrtle soap.

I do; it's one of the reasons I was delighted with Xylaria's Stupidly Simple stuff :) the only issue with that is that HWMBLT complains about the smell on me :rolleyes: and folks look at me funny if I don't get it all off before I visit or go shopping.
I found an old recipe for a mixture of bog myrtle (sweet gale), mugwort and lemon balm (melissa) and it works very well too made up and used as wipes. Nothing deters determined hordes of midges and sleekit dirty clegs completely though, except a Beaton's midge jacket :)
Son1 is blessed like you while Son2 is feasted on like his Mum :sigh: We joke about Jamie standing at peace with the world, with a ring of dead midgies around him, while the rest of us are in utter misery.....we reckon we bred the perfect Scotsman :)

atb,
M

rg598

Native
I use 100% FEET, and I've never had an issue with it eating plastic. Maybe if you spray it directly on the plastic it may have some type of reaction, but certainly not from transfer. At least that's my experience.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I use 100% FEET, and I've never had an issue with it eating plastic. Maybe if you spray it directly on the plastic it may have some type of reaction, but certainly not from transfer. At least that's my experience.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

What, you just stamp 'em into the ground?...:)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Wilmas and Autan spray with Picaridin keeps them at bay for me.

I find Picaridin as effective as Deet but without the horrible oiliness.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Thank you everyone for your replies. Have received a pot of the stupidly simple midge repel in the post. Will try it when next out in bug country.

Julia

Jul 14, 2014
Leeds
I tend to use repellent which doesn't contain DEET, as I have pretty sensitive skin. Quite a few of the natural repellents I've come across lately contain Citriodiol, and this seems to keep the insects away.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Tried the insect repellent I got from Xylaria in anger on what ever the flying things were on top of Pen-y-Fan this week. It didn't stop them flying round me, or landing on me. But what ever the bugs were, they didn't seem to be biting.

Unlike what ever it was the previous day when I left the stuff in the car, those were vicious. Hurting, and leaving a wound that bled...

Julia

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds like clegs :( miserable damned things. Horseflies I mean.

Your report sounds like the Simply Stupid stuff :)

So long as it stops them biting, it's worth it's weight in gold :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Jul 14, 2014
Sheffield
I tend to get bitten on the back garden so I tried a citrepel product which didn't do anything to stop the bites. Before moving onto DEET I tried JUNGLE FORMULA family lotion and have not had any problems with bites.

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
I just spent a week in South India and the bug oil and midge repel worked great not a single bite! Its the time of year when they are out in force too so very impressed. I just had to get used to the oil after being used to the usual sprays.

Thanks
Tim

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Does avon skin-so-soft contain Glycerine?

Julia

Cant remember i'm afraid, it ran out and now i'm on the mosi-guard. It was recommended by some members in the NFAS and worked for me. I dont think i have sensitive skin, but both of these have been much easier on me than Jungle Formula was.

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
Does avon skin-so-soft contain Glycerine?

Julia

Mine contains Isopropyl palmitate, alcohol denat (think that means denatured not sure tho), aqua, parfum, BHT, jojoba seed oil, tocopheryl acetate, hydoxycitronellal, coumarin, linalool, citronellol and limonene.

I have yet to test it against clegs but going to try it today. I am still using the highest strength deet as I can have a nasty reaction with their bites - the bitten limb swells with liquid and circulation is cut off. I always carry antihistamine when outside. This year has been so bad for horseflies that I'm a little concerned about the amount of deet i'm using so bought the Avon-so-soft.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Icardrin, picaridin or saltidin are used in Care Plus Sensitive repellent, I used it in India, it was very good in a roll on form, 20% Saltidin compared to 12.5 % in spray form.

I've heard and read that 4% Neem oil mixed with 96% coconut oil is good but have yet to try.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE