Insect bite relief

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
I know there are threads on insect repellents both natural and chemical but does anyone have any suggestions on how to relieve the pain/itch of an insect bite/sting.

Having returned home after a great weekend in the woods I've counted 40 mossy bites about my body. The wierd thing is I didn't seen any mosquitos. These little blitters must have had some sort of "cloaking device"! :( Its now Monday and the bites are still itching like crazy.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
The juice or sap from dock leaves help stop the itching from nettle stings. Maybe that would be worth a try. You will need about 4 or 5 leaves, pile them up and twist and crush them in you hands until the juice (dark brown in colour I think, but I'm colour blind so don't my word it) appears. Next squeeze the leaves in a ball in your fist until the juice drips onto you infected area.

Good luck....Stu :D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
There's a great ointment from Japan called Oronine ointment, it heals cuts scrapes insect bites......pretty much anything. It's very effective indeed and I've always got some in my FAK. You should be able to get some from an oriental shop.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Those clickers are quite efective Scanker - especially when you creep up on unknowing folk & click them :D

The other thing which is great for any bite, minor infection, burn, ummm, anything really is Tea Tree Cream. Would highly recommend carrying a tube with you when out in the Woop Woops.

Right marvelous, even the parents swear by it!

j

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
janiepopps said:
Those clickers are quite efective Scanker - especially when you creep up on unknowing folk & click them :D
j

Spot on...I did my brother on the very tip of his finger...funniest thing i've ever seen! :lmao:

Very mean though.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
andyn said:
Spot on...I did my brother on the very tip of his finger...funniest thing i've ever seen! :lmao:

Very mean though.

Very mean.

Completely off subject... Growing up on a farm, brother & I would dare each other to touch the electric fence. Girl down on holiday, we made her hold a bunch of grass onto the fence.

DO NOT try this at home

She couldn't move her arm for THREE DAYS :(

Very mean.... :D

j

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
sxmolloy said:
The juice or sap from dock leaves help stop the itching from nettle stings. Maybe that would be worth a try. You will need about 4 or 5 leaves, pile them up and twist and crush them in you hands until the juice (dark brown in colour I think, but I'm colour blind so don't my word it) appears. Next squeeze the leaves in a ball in your fist until the juice drips onto you infected area.

Good luck....Stu :D

I'd be interested to know if this works as I always thought that the dock leaf & nettle thing was because they were actually matched to each other rather than any specific pain management properties of dock.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
in india and west africa, sap from the neem tree is used as a very effective cure for all sorts of ailments including mozzy bites.

G

gordy1

I have spent a lot of time in asia and the locals swear by tiger balm you can get it in health shops and chemists over here and it lasts for years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE