Inexpensive tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wouldn't want to sleep out in it much but it looks like an interesting emergency shelter.

For a £1 it's got to be worth a punt.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That is only slightly bigger than a survival bag, needs things to tie onto, has no ends (so it could be a wind-tunnel) and does not look all that strong....
Even at that price I think I will stick to a survival bag :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You could use it as a bag I would think, or rig it up as a tunnel tent and block the entrance with your rucksack and tie off the other end. Used to do this many years ago with lengths of poly tunnel as I'm sure the 'old time' climbers here will remember.

I nip into Poundland in Merthyr from time to time and this time of the year you will start to find bits of camping kit in there.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I popped into Poundland earlier today, to take a closer look. unfortunatly they have not yet got any camping gear on the shelves. so i guess i'll be popping in a few times over the next few weeks :)

legin

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
Spalding
At a "massive" 8' x 5', it looks to me like a 10p space blanket used for giving to runners at the end of the London Marathon. I suppose if one is 3'6" and skinny, it may work as a sort of shelter when set up as in their picture. They wouldn't be selling it if they weren't making a profit, so I think I would rather use the freebie plastic orange bivi bag I got from the cover of a walking magazine years ago.

Nigel.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Bell helmets used to run an advert which stated:

If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet!

Invest in equipment which is designed to keep you alive during a bad weather emergency, not something which is designed to give the manufacturer, distributor and retailer a profit on an item which retails for £1...

I use the Blizzard Survival Bags, which have been proven to work in extreme conditions and are used by military, rescue and medical services worldwide. A Lifeventure Silk Liner (rectangular) makes for a better experience at minimal extra weight and bulk, plus, I take along two self adhesive A5 size body warmer heat pads in the pack.

Done right (buying at sale prices) its not expensive, I bought two Blizzard Survival Bags, two Blizzard Survival Blankets and three LV Silk Liners at half price (though not at the same time, nor from the same store).

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i baught one yesterday its got to be handy ,your only limited by your imagination and if all fails you can use it as a tent
regards dave

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Got one the other day, just to see what it's like, and having the thought of using it for either a wind break or something to reflect the heat from a nice fire. However since it's not fireproof, that's one less option.

It's very thin, I wouldn't like to have to use it as an emergency shelter at all, while it is light weight, compared to a small light weight tarp, it's really not even in the same game never mind same ball park. For a quid is it worth using as an emergency shelter? Only if thats all you've got, and if you go out with it and not something much better suited to the task, you are really asking for bother. I haven't tried the burn test on it yet, to see how badly flame will affect it, but considering it's so thin I can easily watch TV through it etc, I can't see it resisting much to flame, or to anything that might rip it either. Being held together with 3 bright yellow bits of packing tape as well, not entirely inspiring to one's confidence.

Still, a decent wind break I think.. :D

Cheers,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE