In praise of the humble beeswax

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I have recently discovered more and more uses for the humble beeswax. It is remarkable how an, to the eye, insignificant little critter can provide so much good things just humming around and doing what it does. And so far I haven't even mentioned honey! I thought it would be good to collect all the different uses for beeswax in one good thread.

The different uses I've tried so far:
  • Textile impregnation Mixed with solid paraffine it makes a somewhat ecofriendly impregnation suitable for outdoor clothing, textile tarps, backpacks and whatnot. You could also add tar (protection against UV and algae growth), or borax (to make it more tolerant agaisnt sparks and flames).
  • Leather protection finishing Making leather more water resistant and more stiff. Specially good if you've managed to treat any leather item with fat too many a-times so that it gets on the soft side. Stiffens it up right away. Also provides an excellent surface to polish.
  • Wood protection and finishing basically the same as leather. Warm it in with a hairdryer, makes the wood real smooth and shiny. Hard for water to penetrate in to the wood. As the wood gets smoother, it also gets slippery, which can be an issue in some cases.
  • Mechanical lubricant and Loctite in one! Perfect for threaded metal parts (stoves, bikes, engines and whatnot). Rub the threaded parts (almost all mechanical work on metals should be lubricated) and screw it in. Works smoothly, keeps the water out and won't come loose by vibrations. Okay, maybe not as good as the blue loctite, but is far superior to grease. Also works as an emergency grease and is quite good on some kinds of sealings, Not to be used of bearings of course :D
  • Adds strength to inferior thread When sewing, you could add strength and reduce the friction when sewing in tough material such as multiple layers of cordura or leather. Also makes the needles go through much easier.
  • Keep your shoelaces knotted Rub the shoelaces with beeswax and the won't come unloose, ever! (Although the make the laces more likely to get mucky real quick).
  • Candles, lanterns and the like Melted beeswax and a wick can be cast into any kind of shape and makes a good candle. Which can be used in an lantern
  • Tinder Rags soaked in wax makes good emergency tinder. Can even be relighted if not completely burned.
  • Soap Not really sure about this one, but I think beeswax would make an interesting base for soap. British red maybe could add to this one.
  • Stress relief Ever got stuck in a seemingly endless phone conversation? Nothing to do on the side? Get a lump of beeswax and knead it! Very relaxing! :D
  • Emergency Tooth fillings As recommended by your local dentist.

Anything I forgot or didn't know about? Add your uses of the humble but mighty beeswax!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Beeswax is excellent for stopping up the ends of a hollow leg bone when you make a bone flute.

It's also great for carving into then using within a mold for casting (lost wax method).

Eric

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep I use laods of it in soap making - usually as part of a mix of fat bases. Beeswax adds a nice smell but, most importantly adds a firmer texture to many soaps. Often the pure vegetable based soaps can get soft after a lot of wetting. Beeswax added to the mix avoids this and makes a nice firm bar.

Since I buy wax in large slabs I also make my own furniture polish. A blend of beeswax and natural turpentine makes a soft and easy to apply wood polish (no hairdryer required)

Red

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Editing the original post seems to be hard. Hmm, okay, when we get more uses we could maybe do a complete list.

Eric, could you describe the casting method more in detail? And do you have any pictures of the bone pipe?

BR, I've used the turpuntine-wax blend on my mauser stock, works a charm, but takes a couple of treatments to get the london shine. A picture of a beeswax based soap would be nice!

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
I buy wax in large slabs

Red

How much is it and where? I can only find it in little blocks in my local department store. I'd like to try making tankards and flaks like Erics but the price of the wax would be horrendous.

Also has there been an increase in the price this year due to the problems with the bee populations?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How much is it and where? I can only find it in little blocks in my local department store. I'd like to try making tankards and flaks like Erics but the price of the wax would be horrendous.

Also has there been an increase in the price this year due to the problems with the bee populations?
Several bottles of mead and a couple of bunnies for a big bucket of honey and a slab the size of an encylopaedia ;) Talk to your local bee keeper - many have loads of the stuff - one I know just likes keeping bees - he had five gallon buckets of honey going begging at one point (hence all the mead). There will be a bee keepers association in your area - just google it, go along, maybe offer to lump some hives for them in exchange for some wax. The serious guys have dozens if not hundreds of hives to shift and will be happy to trade with you

big_swede I'll do some photos next time I do a batch fellah - its coming up time now

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE