Immature hogweed tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Hi folks. I'm hoping to munch my way through a lot of hogweed this year.

I know it can get mixed up with giant hogweed, and I'm familiarising myself with the differences in identity on the nature plants, but as we are heading into spring, are there any good ways to tell the difference between the immature plants?

Thanks in advance!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To be honest, if you are going to eat young shoots of the carrot family (Umbellifers) before they are clearly identifiable, my best advice is know your patch well beforehand. There are much worse things you could pick than Giant Hogweed. In the same environment (by streams, river banks and in damp areas) you could easily pick Hemlock Water Dropwort which is deadly (and painfully) poisonous.

I do eat the young hogweed but only from an area I know they grow every year.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Thanks Broch, very sound advice it is too :)

I should have elaborated a little, I have found some young plants that have small but fully formed hogweed shaped leaves (hopefully that makes sense?) In fact I've seen them around in a few locations over winter. Is there definitive ways to separate hogweed from giant hogweed on leaf/stem ID alone?

I'm probably just jumping the gun here and should tread carefully. I have read that you can cut hogweed back to produce fresh shoots so I'll just wait until I have a fully formed plant to ID first as you suggest. I've just added lesser celandine to my portfolio these past couple of weeks and just eager for what spring is bringing :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Thanks Broch, very sound advice it is too :)

I should have elaborated a little, I have found some young plants that have small but fully formed hogweed shaped leaves (hopefully that makes sense?) In fact I've seen them around in a few locations over winter. Is there definitive ways to separate hogweed from giant hogweed on leaf/stem ID alone?

I'm probably just jumping the gun here and should tread carefully. I have read that you can cut hogweed back to produce fresh shoots so I'll just wait until I have a fully formed plant to ID first as you suggest. I've just added lesser celandine to my portfolio these past couple of weeks and just eager for what spring is bringing :)

The leaves are different; giant hogweed is generally more angular. However, there is quite a bit of variation in common hogweed leaves as well. Common hogweed stems are not blotchy like giant hogweed. You should be aware that even common hogweed can cause blisters and light sensitivity on the skin however; it's just no as severe as with giant hogweed. I am not aware of giant hogweed being toxic if eaten but I have never tried it.

Photo below is Giant Hogweed - copyright Galloway Wild Foods

1615414960557.png

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE