I'm very very excited! - new bush shirt finished!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nothing to do with christmas though. Well, it is, in a way. I wanted a thick wool bushshirt like the Twodogs one, so I dyed a wool blanket and passed it to my sewing kit, which is also known as my wife Tracy :) :rolleyes: She promised me the shirt by Christmas. Since then it has sat on the kitchen table for 6 weeks and more.

Today she started cutting it out, using my excellent BilmoP5 bushshirt as a template.

23242611263_82eb35c2de_b.jpg
[/url]Marking out by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]
23501454569_670a763189_b.jpg
[/url]Cutting out by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm getting a zipped neck, with a handwarmer pocket that will also contain an inner pocket big enough to hold a mobile phone, and a long tail so that when I sit down it will keep my bum warm. She is also talking about using the remains to make a hood with a coif to cover the shoulders.

She repaired my hammock chair too!

I'm so excited! :red::red::red::red::christmas1::D:D:D:lmao:

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Lucky you, apresent full of thought is alot better than a shop bought one. Definatley a hood on it, make sure its a big one that you can get a wolly hat on under., and a double thickness on the shoulders in my design.

I have the mother type sewing kit, they are very good equipment really.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Very nice indeed- look forward to seeing the finished article. My missus has a degree in textile design & struggles with sewing a button, if I say anything it's like lighting touch paper and waiting for the fireworks to explode, I get the 'it was a theoretical course'. Your a lucky man :)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Mostly finished now. Just some detail hand sewing to go, but she stopped when her arthritic hands started hurting. I've tried it on, and am really happy. The thing is massive, and thick. It packs down larger than my 4 season sleeping bag! Definitely a cold weather garment. Pictures when it is finished, hopefully tomorrow.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
What a lucky chap you are Mike. A good lady who not only makes the clothes for your back but does it with sore hands. A true find. The coif is a good idea too. Used to have a waxed cotton one years back for use when wearing jumpers and doing hard work in mucky weather. Handy & practicle things.
Mind though she may finish it tomorrow you've to bide 'till the 25th to get to wear it!
Looking forward to seeing the completed article.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
She's finished it! Here I am, modelling the mark 1 version of my new wool bush shirt.

23618883030_074b99d107_b.jpg
[/url]The nightmare before Christmas by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

The handwarmer pocket has a smaller pocket inside that fits my mobile phone, and the long tail at the back is in double thickness so it acts as a pad to keep my bottom warm when I sit down. The neck opening has a placket (apparently that is the technical term) behind it that fastens with a hidden button, so cold air can't get in that way.

23618837240_00bc633f8a_b.jpg
[/url]My new bush shirt by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]
23287857363_47df1ea188_b.jpg
[/url]Neck detail by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm incredibly pleased, and can't wait to try it out.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Very smart, you look a fart smeller. (Smart fellah, sorry a joke thing my Dad used to say). I like that a lot, especially the neck, she's a very talented lady. You're a lucky chap. You'll have to head out to try it now too so double luck.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Nice job indeed. I get what you mean about being bulky, I think I need a separate rucksack for mine.:)
Goatboy...what is a coif?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice job indeed. I get what you mean about being bulky, I think I need a separate rucksack for mine.:)
Goatboy...what is a coif?
It's a sort of hood and shoulder cover all in one. Can be made of chainmail, leather, fabric, or like mine waxed cotton. I'm not keen on hoods so it was mainly to stop my shoulders getting soaked and jumpers torn when carrying fencing tools. here's a chainmail one...

s-l300.jpg
Fabric one
paddedCoif_s.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE