I'm on a distinguished road!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

marcja

SOrry if I've missed it somewhere!

I've been away for a while and I come back to a fully functional site and loads of new bits and bobs........

.......wow, good work guys.

My question: below my number of posts there's a little green dot and when I hover over it it says I'm on a distinguished road. I see that I can also comment on other people's posts. Could someone explain this to me please? Or point me to the thread/article that explains what it's all about.

Thanking you.

Marc

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
This is just a reputation feature so if for some reason someone liked your post or didn't like it they can give you positive or negative points as appropriate. The more positive points you get the more green squares. I think they go red with negative points or something like that. Bit silly really..

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
the idea is that if you've asked a question and somebody has given you a really good answer, maybe really gone out of their way to help you then or they've just written a really good and informative post that you really enjoyed then you click on the scales symbol and can leave them a sort of feed back. The more you get so the note you read when you hover over the green square changes.... you do seem to have to get quite a few to change from the standard one though ;)

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

M

marcja

Cheers guys.

Just out of interest is there any way of finding out how many positives/negatives you have?

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
Well from posting asking what it is, everyone is giving you positive reputation marcja to test it out! :D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Click on the scales on your own posts (as you can't give yourself rep points) ;) that will tell you how many rep points you have.

:D
Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
As far as I can see its not plugged in yet. You are quite right that there used to be a bit in the user cp where you could read comments that people had left...... it'll probably be added to the list of things to do :)

:D
Ed

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
bambodoggy said:
then you click on the scales symbol and can leave them a sort of feed back. The more you get so the note you read when you hover over the green square changes.... you do seem to have to get quite a few to change from the standard one though ;)
Looking at the members list, there are quite a few people on "a distinguished road" that have zero posts. Is that "road" the starting place?

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
"a distinguished road" is indeed the starting point, everyone starts with 5 reputation points.

this means that 5 people have to give to negative point before you reach zero when the comment changes to "this member is an unknown quantity"

the reputation system discourages people from providing poor and incorrect information, if someone provides you information or advice you can check there reputation to see how good their advice and information has been in the past.

if they have a poor reputation then you should treat there advice with caution, if they have a good reputation then you can be reassured that their advice is probably sound.

points are not easily gained or lost it takes quite a few points to change designation and when someone awards a reputation point it is quite some time before they can reward that same person again.

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Thanks for the clarification there Stuart. Is there currently any way to view feedback that others have left. I seem to have accumulated a couple of plusses somewhere, so I must've said something right, sometime - I wonder what...

Cheers

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Is there currently any way to view feedback that others have left
As i said above, I don't think its plugged in yet ;) so its not working as it did before the big crash when you could read feedback. It'll probably go on the todo list soon and hopefully be sorted as soon as.

Enjoy :D

Ed

Reactions: Stuart

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I'm not a happy bunny my reputation points have just dropped and i can't work out what I've done to upset anybody i hope you guys get the feed back bit working soon so i can see what i've done. dont like this :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE