I'm now DPM free!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:-? er... ok, what do i mean by that?

ok i was in scouts army gear was cool, :pack:

was in the TA ...Army gear was cool, :super:

was into "survival" .....Army gear was cool.....:AR15firin

so for all those years (15! :shock: )i had been convincing myself that if it was camo it was great!

now i am into "Bushcraft" ......and want to be aproachable and proffessional as i now work in the leisure industry. :uu: :hug:

it has taken me about 3 years to exchange all my gear,
on my recent college course the only Army gear i used was a DPM PLCE bergen, but now i have found a good quality Green one!

just like Mr mears himself!

now as far as i know i own no more Camo gear!
i shall wear in no longer... :wink:

I'm not saying "you" can't use Camo gear, i just feel better for the change!
and far less scary when you get to meet me!
:biggthump

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i got 2 pieces of equipment in DPM, mine gore-tex parka and mine fieldbottle cover. Like you, i prefer green, but DPM seams cheaper sometimes...

if you do still own some DPM colored equipment, i wouldn't mind to "dispose" them for you ! :p

Mar 2, 2004
wish me luck, my wife will be giving birth to our secound baby in about 3 weeks!

luck? condolences you mean dont you?

just kidding m8 i love kids and have two of my own,just glad theyre in double figures now and NO MORE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS AND NAPPIES!

good luck and well done .

as for camo gear,i get your point about being approachable.sometimes the reactive thought is ..oh dear naughty boys in army gear.. but it is cheap and effective.and im loath to pay the extortionate prices for designer outdoor gear.
also good to stay incognito when required. :wink:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
wish me luck, my wife will be giving birth to our secound baby in about 3 weeks!

Nice one mate, your baby will be happier if he/she can see you!

Well done.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:roll: :eek:):

did i not mention we are actually rabbits? :wink:

my DPM gear has gone to the local surplus in payment of my new green rucksack! nice bloke behind the counter!

theoretically i don't need to part with cash! :cool:

you should try it!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Strangely enough, when Ray was teaching the tracking course last year he spend a considerable amount of time in military camo gear (and I have photos to prove it). Indeen, on the last day excercise he was fully kitted out in DPM trousers, shirt; and (I think) jacket when it rained.

Mar 2, 2004
there was a roumor going about that some members had approached the woodlore site asking about ray mears pyjamas!
nothing special about them,no fleece lining,nor waterproof,or any other superduper bushcraft feature,they only wanted to have pictures of ray smiling all over them..awww
wonder if they came in dpm?

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Us moderators just had a great weekend get together with tracking tuition by Ian Maxwell and the lovely Rhoda. One of the surprises for me was in the night stalking game, my Flectarn trousers apparently stood out as dark aginst the light leaf litter. Best out of all the stuff people were wearing? Plain old light Olive green. go figure eh?

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
It's not cheap but I've had good results against rabbit & pigeon using the Advantage pattern cammo's. Nice muted colours.

Dave

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I used to wear Camo gear all the time when I was in my teans and shooting a lot. Then I gradually gave up the camo lifestyle and became normal but my route back into the outdoors involves wildlife photography so out went my Barbour jacket and back in came the Camo. Even the stuff I do not need to be DPM usually is usually as it is cheaper to buy ex-army.

There was a discussion, like this one, on a wildlife photgraphy forum that I am a part of with various views about how people felt stupid etc. The post I found most interesting was from a guy who said he never felt stupid or out of place in camo gear but that was because his other hobby was cycling and if he could walk about in lycra shorts and the like then camo stuff was small beer in comparison.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Justin Time said:
Us moderators just had a great weekend get together with tracking tuition by Ian Maxwell and the lovely Rhoda. One of the surprises for me was in the night stalking game, my Flectarn trousers apparently stood out as dark aginst the light leaf litter. Best out of all the stuff people were wearing? Plain old light Olive green. go figure eh?

I was very surprised by how Flectarn looked in the dark as I thought it would be brilliant ... I don't know if it is just too dark or not. The Advantage tree patterns looked effective at night and the bog standard British Army DPM wasn't half bad either.

AusCam is supposed to be great at night too.

Me, I have an extensive wardrobe of colors, including DPM an dwill mix and match as the need arises!

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Justin Time said:
Ah, but you look good in the Flectarn, Andrew. It suits you! (Especially the Flectarn hat with the peg on the back! :wink:)

jakunen

Native
Yeah, army kit is good being cheap (especially when you manage to keep all your kit when you get demobbed :lol: ), it's tough, plenty of pockets, and multi-fucntional.
Mine has been used for paintballing, fishing, camping, birdwatching, badger watching, etc.
Just wish I didn't have to keep buying bigger trousers... :-(

leon-1

Adi metioned Auscam, I can vouch for it having worked with members of the RAR's before.

The reason that most european stuff appears to be dark is that it was designed for the forests of north west europe (mainly dense coniferous) and not the deciduous forests that we tend to come across.

Olive green is ideal, it is what is generally classed as a midtone, natural folds in the material give it multiple layers of shading which breaks up the outline (baggy jackets) the reason it blends so well is simply that the material is neither light nor dark and it is green.

In other areas of the world you can get away with brighter colours at night (blues, reds and oranges amongst others), that simply would be unbearable to look upon in daylight.

Good luck to you in a non DPM world.

N

narsil

I like the army jungle trousers, but when they start to get old and faded they actually seem to glow in the dark! I would prefer not to wear DPM, especially if i'm going to be around inhabited areas but i also like SAS smocks and they are pretty hard to get hold of in anything other than DPM unless you get them specially made

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Camo is fine if you are not moving, when you do the light areas emphasize that movement, alerting your quarry.
I find plain olive green kit (ventile smock & lightweights) works very well in woodland environments.
Neil1

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Hmmm....

I can manage to field Brit. DPM (in about half a dozen different guises), Irish DPM (tricky to lay hands on and absolute top kit), Auscam, Flectarn, Belgian "brush" pattern, U.S. "Woodland" and a Yugo cam pattern as well as OG & black.

I'm quite comfortable with it, seldom have problems and wouldn't particularly care if I did. I'm much happier with any of the above than in purple and petrol blue or whatever this season's colours from the names happen to be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE