Igniting a Dorito with a ferro rod?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Yes I know that one will burn with a flame ignition source, the same as prawn crackers.

Has anyone got one to go up with just sparks?

I am doing another fire lighting demo on Saturday and I like to throw in the odd quirky thing to engage people, especially if the whole subject is new to them.

I plan to buy a bag anyway and have a go but it would be interesting to know in advance what to expect.

Someone on here simply must have tried this!

Thanks.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I've not got one going as the spark doesn't last long enough unfortunately. However sawdust firelighters are great.

Put sawdust in to an ice tray, compress it down, add more, then add wax, allow to cool ensuring a small amount of sawdust is showing to catch the spark. Works the same with lint from a tumbledryer also.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I shall report back; I was just thinking of scraping the fine surface flavouring up a bit, just like outer birch bark.

The perfect one stop survival and nutrition kit...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can certainly light a feather stick with a ferro rod which is quite impressive if you just show the stick to start with. I did the feathering with an axe once for a demo - still lit just fine.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Unfortunately the experiment will have to wait.

I am a bit under the weather at the moment and so cancelled my demo session :(

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
If anyone beats me to the experiment we need to know!

P.S. I did see a US guy manage to ignite a pile of "Fritos" with a ferro rod but he didn't half have to work at it; he probably took an inch off the end to get them to catch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE