I have to agree I don't fancy eating them much either....my point was that you can eat them whereas most people think you can'tLeeroy said:to be honest i dont fancy eating conkers
its pretty easy to tell the difference sweet chesnuts are more furry than spikey and mostly their trees are smaller and the fruit are too...
if you can only find a conker tree get 2 pieces of string and play conkers with ur mate.....
you should forget about being hungry then...
watch your knuckles kids...
Lol....it spits like a Lama I do burn it but only every so often and mostly in my wood burner in the living room so it doesn't matter about the spittingandyn said:Looks like lovely wood. But as Ray said that i will remember for future use....don't put it on the fire due to the high tannin content.
Tantalus said:sorry guys but some of the info in here is downright dangerous and irresponsible
Horse chestnuts ARE poisonous
please feel free to check this in any search engine you choose
Horse Chestnut = Aesculus hippocastanum
Toxins include Aesculin and Aescin
These toxins must be removed before any attempt to eat them is made
Tant, rather a lot of the info passed on this and other forums could be taken in the wrong way by people (and kids) reading it...all the fire lighting threads, the trapping/hunting threads etc all carry the risk of "give it a go, I read it on the internet".Tantalus said:sheesh the list of medicinal plants stretches a long way from belladonna and digitalis to opium and ergot
suit yourself mate but dont recommend them to anyone in a public forum open to kids and others liable to "give it a go, I read it on the internet"
I have tasted horse chestnut before (mistaken them for sweet chestnuts). They are very bitter, I guess it's because of the alkaloids. They are only mildly poisonous, one or two would not hurt a grown person. Also, they are so unpalatable I don't think normal human beings would be tempted to eat a lot of them... No need to get too nervous.Tant, rather a lot of the info passed on this and other forums could be taken in the wrong way by people (and kids) reading it...all the fire lighting threads, the trapping/hunting threads etc all carry the risk of "give it a go, I read it on the internet".
I did state that the "conkers" had to be leached and roasted, which does kill off the toxins and renders them safe to eat.
I know they were used as famine foods and they are quite safe to eat then. Wood Sorel and other plants are also toxic in large quantities but you'll find people saying they are fine to eat. People talk about how nice the fungus commonly known as "Ink Caps", are to eat but few mention that they become quite highly toxic if eaten with alcohol.
I don't feel a need to freak about Horse Chestnuts and stand firmly by what I have said in my below posts. If you choose not to eat them then that's entirely up to you mate. A friendly clarification on the need to prepare them properly would have surficed rather than a scarey warning that they are poisonous but hey, no skin off my nose if nobody else in the world eats them....personally if I was living off the land then they would definately be part of my diet.