Ideas for use of wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
So this morning I was taking the dog on a walk through our local woodland and came across a pile of trees that had been cut down and just discarded amongst other woodland.

I had a little look and found a lovely 8 foot sapling that was still nice and green so I've decided to use it for some wood work.

I've already designated some of it to making a simple hiking stick for y wife but need suggestions on what to use the rest for.

Here are some pictures thus far.

bcde92b1-eb82-a3d1.jpg

bcde92b1-eb95-07d9.jpg

So as you can see I've already cut a stripped the stick and it has a lovely mottled effect to the wood.

What could I do with the other bit?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Can't tell from the pic, is it ash or willow maybe? An eight foot piece could make a nice walking staff, maybe with a woodspirit or two on it as Mesquite suggested.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
To be honest I couldn't tell you what it is but my first thought was willow.

I may have a go at wood spirits and see how I fair with it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I get wood I know just what I can do with it!
Straight bits like those you have are for walking poles, tripod legs or hanging rails over a fire (some get decorated - some do not): bigger bits go for knife/tool handles, spoons and spatulas : bigger bits for Kuksas or bowls bigger than that and I am thinking firewood :)

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Maybe a bit big for Tent/Tarp Pegs? If there is more the thinner bits should be perfect for these, and always good practice for spirals and other adornments.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
When I get wood I know just what I can do with it!
Straight bits like those you have are for walking poles, tripod legs or hanging rails over a fire (some get decorated - some do not): bigger bits go for knife/tool handles, spoons and spatulas : bigger bits for Kuksas or bowls bigger than that and I am thinking firewood :)

I like you thinking there John, a good list of suggestions.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
From the description and the photo it looks a bit like hazel?

If so, you have a perfect combination for making yourself a drill and hearth and trying the joys of bow drill fire making.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE