Idea for a BCUK online packing list

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,
I just happened to come to a web page where the author created an online packing list in Swedish. Quite nice, one can build his on pack list by clicking on the different gear items and print later out the list.
Ours could be bigger because several of our group go as far as into the jungle and this guy is mainly in the Swedish fjälls but I think it would be a nice service here on our forum too, the list can grow and grow with the knowledge people have here, still each and everyone self can through clicking on the list build his own packing list for the trip ahead. One might see items on the list one self could not have thought about. Well check it out:

After you come to the main page click on the left button called Utrustning
then click on the first link called Packlista, voila there it should be.

http://web.telia.com/~u85400153/framesidan.htm

Could that be something for us?

cheers
Abbe

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Might be quite good,it would save you sitting down with pen and note book, and then trying to remember every bit of kit that you need to take on your next trip. :biggthump

Chip Dale

Jan 10, 2005
NORFOLK
Looks good, could be improved by adding an alternative data base, which would give you options to replace an item with another item that can be employed for multi tasking.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I wounder if it could incorporate a weight calculator like this one:

http://www.backpacking.net/featured3.html

I find this one useful if you are planning a large expedition to work out how much the total weight of kit comes to if your transport has a weight limit (or your plane ticket) it is very helpful for working out what combination of smaller items will reduce the weight sufficiently if removed.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Stuart said:
I wounder if it could incorporate a weight calculator like this one:

http://www.backpacking.net/featured3.html

I find this one useful if you are planning a large expedition to work out how much the total weight of kit comes to if your transport has a weight limit (or your plane ticket) it is very helpful for working out what combination of smaller items will reduce the weight sufficiently if removed.

that would be amazing if one could get the weight included!
I cant write code so I don't know how difficult it is to pull it off but I think the idea is great.

cheers
abbe

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
it wouldn't be too hard to code it, if we want it to be something like on that site.

If people think it's a good idea then might be worth a shot...
someone would need to compile a list though of all the items / categories / wieghts (how does that work, some people have a lighter items.. can't put in every item available, even doing alluminium / titanian / stainless steel versions of a lot of items would be a pain)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Neat stuff. I keep my lists and weights of stuff in a spreadsheet. I can add and subtract as I like, and tailor individual lists to different kinds of trips.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Giancarlo said:
it wouldn't be too hard to code it, if we want it to be something like on that site.

If people think it's a good idea then might be worth a shot...
someone would need to compile a list though of all the items / categories / wieghts (how does that work, some people have a lighter items.. can't put in every item available, even doing alluminium / titanian / stainless steel versions of a lot of items would be a pain)

Have a place where people can enter the weight of there own gear to do the calculation

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
This is an example of one of the spreadsheets I use for a backpacking checklist. I rarely go on a major trip without working one of these up. Kinda easy and fun to do in a spreadsheet if you have a balance. I like to keep the pack wt separate so when I'm all packed, I can weigh the pack and see how close I came to the estimated weight.

Backpack Checklist

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I've been meaning to knock something up in Access for some time that will include value of item too, this will enable me to keep my buying to a reasonable level and work out what may have been lost should I be robbed or my car burst into flames.

I may have a play over the weekend.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ok, the fruit of 20 minutes labour... For those who have MS Access only :yikes:

http://www.lightningstorm.co.uk/BCUK/kit.mdb

Under [Forms] there is a Kit List form, just open it and edit the things you want to... weight is in grams but it's easy enough to change...

Just enter all the kit you have and check the boxes to add to the kit list, Click [Generate Report] and you'll have a nice A4 report of everything in your kit list...

I may add things like "Winter kitting" or "jungle kitting" if it's needed... dunno yet.

Any thoughts welcome :biggthump

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well... it's only MS Access, it's not rocket science :wink:

Besides, what am I going to do on a Friday night when I spent all my money on kit and stainless steel rods :rolmao:

More versions in progress, let me know if you want anything added :biggthump

Also, how many people on here have MS Access? I could port it out to something else I suppose I could .exe it, would that be useful to anyone or is Access ok?

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Squidders, Access is rocket science to most and the only people that are likely to have Access will have an MS Office Pro package or using a PC at work. An .exe extension would be very useful for a lot of people as long as you back save it to one of the earlier versions, but how about converting it to html so all users can use it if they wish.

For you Mac users out there if you have Office for Mac, the pro version with Access it should work fine just open access and then open the file.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE