ID this bird?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've seen this a couple of times before. Someone on here had the same thing happen. It's a Tawny. They think their reflection in the window is another owl in their territory and so attack it. Because they are not flying at speed and actually 'braking' to engage the 'other' owl, it hits the window quite softly and leaves this perfect print. They aren't hitting the window hard, so are unharmed.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Me and my nephew were in my sister's front room when we heard a loud bang. I kind of thought it sounded like a distant gunshot report but it was a little different. I looked out the window and spotted the near perfect imprint of a wood pigeon on the window. Looked down and saw the wood pigeon that had a habit of visiting their back lawn at about the same day every day. My sister and nephew (about the age where they are toddling around and interested in things but would get upset by a dead bird) used to watch it every day. Anyway. I looked below the window at the border and spotted the same wood pigeon impaled on the cut roses in the border. Turns out my sister (who rarely gardens normally) had the week before pruned her roses and the cut stalks were sharp enough to impale the pigeon.

Cue a period of my sister keeping my nephew very busy while I went outside and picked the bird up to bury in the bin. Both my sister and her husband would be too squeamish to even pick it up with a shovel. Even I was a little when I had to give the thing a sharp tug to get it off the roses.

Anyway it was fortunately my nephew didn't look up as the impression was like that of the owl in that it was full wing spread with legs clearly shown and the beak out to one side too. It was a perfect impression of the bird!! I half expected it to be still there a month later (sister is not good at cleaning windows neither). I still can't understand how the beak and legs left an imprint too. Could see the feathers and everything!!

I reckon the stunned owl got away. The pigeon probably died due to the impaling. It was still twitching when I saw it.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Similar occurrence but with a seagull on the Fylde coast a couple of years ago,

Gulldust.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE