ID please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Doesn’t look like the usual wasp.

Sting was incredible!
25a83eaec8567304ddd079a393231ab6.jpg

f5af836e56f6a1354fe848bddd59d9ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TeeDee

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Cheers guys. Ok I will settle on the fact I was just unlucky uncovering a wasp nest.

I took 3 stings which lumped up and bothered me for more than a day. My friend had the same reaction to one he got for his bother.

A week later I got stung on the face by a wasp at a different location. Very obviously a wasp which I squashed. Bothered me for a couple of hours.

What really puzzled me is that 2 of the stings from the nest actually detached into me. I thought that was a bee thing.

Live and learn!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What really puzzled me is that 2 of the stings from the nest actually detached into me. I thought that was a bee thing.

That’s unusual, as is your reaction compared with the your standard wasp sting.

edit: a bit more reading and it seems wasp stingers do have some barbs and can detach if the wasp is swiped or smeared away. Probably, and this is a guess, you received more venom as a result because the stinger was lodged in your skin.

I’ve had too many bee stings, my dad always told me to keep away when he was taking the honey and I never did, well not far enough anyway :D The bee sting comes with a little sac of venom that carries on pumping for a while after detachment, you can see it moving. Both him and me have developed a full allergy to bee stings, not anaphylactic, but severe swelling etc.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
That’s unusual, as is your reaction compared with the your standard wasp sting.

edit: a bit more reading and it seems wasp stingers do have some barbs and can detach if the wasp is swiped or smeared away. Probably, and this is a guess, you received more venom as a result because the stinger was lodged in your skin.

I’ve had too many bee stings, my dad always told me to keep away when he was taking the honey and I never did, well not far enough anyway :D The bee sting comes with a little sac of venom that carries on pumping for a while after detachment, you can see it moving. Both him and me have developed a full allergy to bee stings, not anaphylactic, but severe swelling etc.

Yes I did wonder if it was just more venom. I’ve had a good number of stings over the years, goes with the territory but these were notable!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To tell the species of wasp apart you have to look in detail at the spots and stripes on the abdomen and the shape of the facial mask. For example, Vespa germanica has three black spots on the face and Vespa vulgaris has a small black anchor shape on the face :)

I have an allergic reaction to wasp sting - stung on the hand and it will swell like a marigold glove you've blown air into but I love them; they're fascinating creatures.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yes I did wonder if it was just more venom. I’ve had a good number of stings over the years, goes with the territory but these were notable!

Could also be changes in the human body and our immune systems. I come up in decent welts from mosquito bites sometimes, but other times not so much. In hotter weather it’s definitely worse, as it is if I’m tired, or hungover, or just generally a bit run down and fatigued. What I mean is it may not be the strength and volume of the venom but the way the immune system deals with it.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Cheers guys. Ok I will settle on the fact I was just unlucky uncovering a wasp nest.

I took 3 stings which lumped up and bothered me for more than a day. My friend had the same reaction to one he got for his bother.

A week later I got stung on the face by a wasp at a different location. Very obviously a wasp which I squashed. Bothered me for a couple of hours.

Live and learn!

Blimey, I shan’t go out with you if it’s lightning..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE