ID of plants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I've always got confused between these two wildflowers and this years is no exception :eek: . Can anyone help out? They were both found on the edge of the woods.

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

Cheers

Pablo

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I agree with the Bugle but I'm not convinced the upper is Dog violet. I've just spent a week in an area where they are flowering and have my doubts. Is it not one of the Clary family, say Meadow Clary (Salvia pratensis)?

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
I think the top one is ground ivy Glechoma hederacea. Looks kinda big though, maybe its just a close up shot.

cheers, gb

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
You can tell the difference bewteen ground ivy and dog-violet as the dog violet has spur on the stem just below the sepals and ground ivy has tube type sepals.

Had another look can see no spurs but the sepals are tube like.

Clary is part of the Lamiaceae (dead-nettle) family they are easy to tell as the stems are square

Oops- should have looked more closely first time especaily after just doing exam on woodland botany this week, been swotting up on these,:eek:

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
gb said:
I think the top one is ground ivy Glechoma hederacea. Looks kinda big though, maybe its just a close up shot.

cheers, gb

I agree, only plant with that leaf shape flower combination. You can get a 'large flowered' variety but I think the way the picture has been taken accentuates its size.[font=&quot][/font]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE