Icy Cornwall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Some snapshots taken out in a local wood in Cornwall today. Not many people about today, first time I have seen this kind of ice in Cornwall. Also guesses on what the tracks are although covered by fine snow. I know what they are as there are loads of them about here.

Click the pics for bigger images.

Last edited:
H

Helford River Expeditions

Nice photo's! Cornwall is beautiful in the snow

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
I will give everyone a chance to guess them, then give the answer later on.

A clue: The tracks are back to front, back feet first!

leon-1

It looks like Rabbit prints, the rear paws appear as the front set of prints and they leave a longer print mark than the fronts who appear at the rear.

They are actually almost too perfect, sometimes a rabbit will leave almost what looks like three prints with the front paws being almost on top of each other or on occasion they leave the two rear side by side and the front one just in front of the other.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Apols for not posting earlier, just got back online! BT and the weather, go figure.

The tracks are from a squirrel. Loads of them, very tame, as many people feed them. Its weird how their front legs end up being the rear tracks.

So sorry no pogo sticks present, but been thinking for sometime about adding a couple to the pot with carrots.:eek:

leon-1

Its weird how their front legs end up being the rear tracks.

Most of the time squirrels appear to be running, if you look at big cats when they run their rear legs extend further forward than their front, they are evenly spaced but planted equidistantly in front of and to the sides of the front paws.

Have a look down the page, there is a good explanantion of an animal in full gallop in this link that demonstrates why the footfall is as you see it

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Most of the time squirrels appear to be running, if you look at big cats when they run their rear legs extend further forward than their front, they are evenly spaced but planted equidistantly in front of and to the sides of the front paws.

Have a look down the page, there is a good explanantion of an animal in full gallop in this link that demonstrates why the footfall is as you see it

Good link that thanks. It would be interesting to see over the next couple of hundred thousand years how these type of animals evolve. Will they turn out more like the kangaroo I wonder, where they no longer use the front legs for running!

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Ah! Squirrel - we don't get them around here very often. About once a year, one finds us for a while then vanishes again. Neat tracks! I had fun at that game :)
Neat link Leon...bookmarked.

leon-1

Good link that thanks. It would be interesting to see over the next couple of hundred thousand years how these type of animals evolve. Will they turn out more like the kangaroo I wonder, where they no longer use the front legs for running!

That would depend on them changing from being predominantly tree dwellers to becoming ground dwellers (they would then have little use for upper body strength used in climbing). I would probably also be affected by what they choose to eat and of course ground and air based predators.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
I know Tehidy well mate, I used to live at Portreath :) although I'm Newquay way now. Nowhere near as snowey here today.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Same here, but the melted snow is turning to ice now, lethal:yikes: Should be out tonight but had other commitments, so will have to be next week now!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE