Ibuprofen versus Nurofen Prices

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, i carry ibuprofen in my first aid kit and mostly just buy them from tescos for about 30p for a packet of 16, Nurofen tablets are anything over £2 for the same quantity of 16, it says on both packets exactly the same 'contains 200 mg Ibuprofen'', being curious i asked a pharmacist what the difference was between Nurofen and the tesco Ibuprofen tablets i buy and was told they are both exactly the same, if this is so what a huge difference in price for a packet of 16, Nurofen over £2 and tesco Ibuprofen 30p, i have seen cheap ibuprofen for sale on poundland and 99p stores but on those packets it says ''sugar-coated'' so i don't buy those. If the pharmacist was right then the price of Nurofen is extremely excessive, can anyone confirm Nurofen is indeed the same tablet such as those sold by tescos? thanks.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
The active medicine is exactly the same. Neurofen may have other stuff in it, nicer, sweeter coatings etc, but it's a brand name. It's a bit like buying a Woodlore knives versus a mora- they both cut things but you pay for the name and the higher quality finish (in Neurofens case a snazzier box, advertising etc etc.)

As someone who works in healthcare, I always buy the supermarkets own tablets!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I tend to buy the Aldi ones for about 30p when I'm in, they're always handy to chuck in a pack/glovebox/work bag etc.

At home we use the bottles of 96 from the Co-Op chemist

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
The active medicine is exactly the same. Neurofen may have other stuff in it, nicer, sweeter coatings etc, but it's a brand name. It's a bit like buying a Woodlore knives versus a mora- they both cut things but you pay for the name and the higher quality finish (in Neurofens case a snazzier box, advertising etc etc.)

As someone who works in healthcare, I always buy the supermarkets own tablets!

Hi kiltedpict, with such a huge difference in price i was surprised to find they are both the same, i guess it comes down to the power of advertising.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Have a read of this...

I never buy named brands if I can absolutely help it as it's just a big rip off to fleece you of your money.

Hi Mesquite, thats a good interesting link, i also never buy brand names, i am never fooled by advertising its just a ''persuassion'' industry.. thanks for link.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Same with hay fever medication. Just the same contents in the supermarket brand as the named brands but at a fraction of the price.
The biggest difference was the piriton ones at nearly a fiver for 7! Compared to the supermarket ones at 50p for 30.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As a retired nurse I go for generic over brand names

Paracetamol
Aspirin
Ibuprofen
Constipation remedies
Anti Histamine
Antiseptic wipes

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Compare the drug contents code on the packet!! You'll find that generic drugs are exactly the same as the more expensive "branded" versions. One rip off example is one manufactures "Period Pain Relief" capsules are exactly the same as their "Migrane" relief capsules but the charge twice as much for the period pain capsules.
You can compare on here http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/

Always buy the generic drugs and save a fortune!!!!! :)

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
There's also the (very real) placebo affect - I know folk who swear blind that 'Ibuprofen doesn't work, but Neurofen is great'. My wife (a doctor) sees it all the time. It's astonishing really, even when you point out that the two things have identical active ingredients some people won't be convinced.

There's some interesting research somewhere on the 'net showing a group of test subjects, split into two groups randomly. Both groups were given placebo tablets in a properly run double blind test. It turned out that the white placebo tablets were found to be significantly more effective than the blue ones. Go figure. :confused:

I always buy generics.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
generic vs brand names is often about Patent Protection once a drug has passed the protection period anyone can make it so the companies claw money back by marketing and rebranding.

I try and stear clear alltogether - better to look for the cause than rely on a drug to block out the symptom

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I will never buy Nurofen after their current tv ad campaign - it is so annoying!!!

The only 'label' meds I buy are Calpol and Calprofen for my little lad - not sure why.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Normally I'd agree with you Corso, but as someone who suffers bouts of crippling arthritic pain, trust me, ibuprofen is a godsend at times, and I'm literally alive because of anti histamines. If you can find a way of stopping either need for pills I'll be a happy lady :)

I buy generics. Look for the chemical and if the generic is the same value as the 'brand', in this day and age of quality control, why pay such an enormous mark up?

cheers,
Toddy

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
funny how some members would buy a woodlore knife which is hundreds of pounds more then a knife made of same matirals but not a packet of tablets

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
funny how some members would buy a woodlore knife which is hundreds of pounds more then a knife made of same matirals but not a packet of tablets

If you check the packaging on most brands, you will find that the manufacturer is the same!!! and only the packaging is different!! The "woodlore" comparison is hardly a realistic one :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
If you check the packaging on most brands, you will find that the manufacturer is the same!!! and only the packaging is different!! The "woodlore" comparison is hardly a realistic one

I see what you did there very ammusing ;)

Normally I'd agree with you Corso, but as someone who suffers bouts of crippling arthritic pain, trust me, ibuprofen is a godsend at times, and I'm literally alive because of anti histamines. If you can find a way of stopping either need for pills I'll be a happy lady :)

I buy generics. Look for the chemical and if the generic is the same value as the 'brand', in this day and age of quality control, why pay such an enormous mark up?

cheers,
Toddy

Would never suggest not taking medication for medically diagnosed conditions (I work in oncology myself) it's more the self diagnosing, general pill popping, taking antibotics for the sniffles approach that seems to be prevolant these days that realy isn't good for the body.

Sometimes lying in bed with a fever feeling sorry for yourself is your bodies way of telling you to simmer down - taking a cafeen loaded painkiller to keep you on your feet is not the healthy thing to do

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, I agree Corso, sometimes we really just need to pay attention to our bodies and accept that what we're doing isn't really doing us any kindness. Hard for folks sometimes in the hassle and bustle of our modern lives though.
Sometimes just a walk helps ease things before the need for pills :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE