I want to track foxes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I love the fox them seem a beautiful animal, and I would like to start tracking it.

What are they like, would they bite (assuming no) you, would then run or stare?

Thanks.

Any good guides for fox?

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
are you anywhere near foxes ? if you see them, try this.............get two pieces of polysytene and rub them together to make a squeaking sound, Mr. Fox cannot resist this noise and will come to investigate, if your very still and quiet, he will get very close :)

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
are you anywhere near foxes ? if you see them, try this.............get two pieces of polysytene and rub them together to make a squeaking sound, Mr. Fox cannot resist this noise and will come to investigate, if your very still and quiet, he will get very close :)

I've haven't seen a fox in a while, last time was in a field running, but recently I saw a dead one :(

It was a adult one, pretty big...

They're not around here much.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I sat in my kayak a couple of weeks ago watching 5 fox cubs play fighting on the bank less than 15 ft away. As I drifted closer, the bow of my kayak ran gently aground on the bank they were on. I watched them for 15 minutes with them getting ever closer. One cub stared at me for ages, I didn't move so as not to scare it. The vixen saw me close and then called them all back to the den, she didn't look too bothered though and they reappeared as a drifted off again.

A magic moment.

I'm off to try the polystyrene trick, nice one Robbie. I see or hear them every night when I go out for a bimble.

V

ViamFec

Do you live in an area where it snows? If so, wait until you chance upon a fresh set of fox tracks. Being careful to follow them in the right direction, start walking. Just keep going even it takes several hours. My experience has been that eventually you will come upon where the fox has bedded down for a nap (and run off at your approach). Look for a round or oval depression in the snow.

Keep doggedly following the tracks. Eventually the fox will start wondering what you are trying to do and will stop to get a good look at you. This is when you will often see the animal looking back at you. Eventually the fox pretty much gives up trying to keep its distance.

The fox is a relatively small animal - it is not going to attack you.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I would assume you're a country dweller 'cos you'll see more in towns.lol

However, as Robbi says, a good squeak will bring fox, stoat, weasel if nearby to check as it's the sound of rabbit in distress.
They use the same trails as Badger a lot,look for those 'slim' trails through the grass of fields or in the woods.
You can smell their scent near a den,once you have done,you'll remember it.

Coming across actual tracks is not as easy.

Oh and as said,they will be near.

V

ViamFec

An easy method on the video :) But perhaps not exactly "tracking foxes" but rather calling them in

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
weekend nights in town centres are one of the easiest times and places to spot foxes, that magical hour between the kebab shops closing and the street sweepers starting work!

silva

Jun 11, 2012
Welshpool
Hi
If you don't have a lamp, calling them in the early evening before it gets dark can produce good results, especially if the ground is not hunted. Though around now there are plenty of "green" youngsters about that will on occasion run right up to your feet. If you are trying to stalk or get the drop on foxes on foot, you need to start looking into to the mid and far distance, rather than close up like rabbits. The wind is the most important factor to consider, foxes when coming to the call will often circle approach you from downwind to check you out. Baiting an area with roadkill can be quite effective, as is snow, frost and hard weather, casualty livestock. In the mating season they get quite cranky, abandon natural caution and are easier to call and more vocal.
Cheers

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE