I want to buy a decent water bottle but don't have a clue what one!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Barn Owl is right, you can't go far wrong with the MOD water bottle. Another suggestion is the american style square one, it holds quite a bit more but is a little more awkward to carry. If you are going car camping with not much walking it's well worth investing in a 5 ltr plastic carrier, alternatively if you are aiming to do a lot of walking have a look at the different types of hydration systems to fit onto you rucksac, the type with the pipe for drinking whilst you walk without having to dig out the bottle.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
MOD 58 Pat Brit water bottle is the bottle I carry everywhere. Sometimes two on long treks and backed up with a platypus bottle for overnighters.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
apparently coca-cola have a promotion on at the moment, if you buy two litres of their product they'll give you a free 2 litre bottle! bargain!
some people freally do swear by plastic drinks bottles, they're free(ish), really hard wearing, you can squash them when they're half full so they don't splosh around in your bag, you can roll them up to pack them, they make great pillows etc.

having said all that i tend to use a 58 pattern bottle just the same as many other folk on here, they're great bottles, but ultimately that's all they are, plastic bottles.

stuart

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
apparently coca-cola have a promotion on at the moment, if you buy two litres of their product they'll give you a free 2 litre bottle! bargain!
some people freally do swear by plastic drinks bottles, they're free(ish), really hard wearing, you can squash them when they're half full so they don't splosh around in your bag, you can roll them up to pack them, they make great pillows etc.

having said all that i tend to use a 58 pattern bottle just the same as many other folk on here, they're great bottles, but ultimately that's all they are, plastic bottles.

stuart

They split easily after a couple of outings though.

Can't be relied upon, that's why they're made for recycling after one purchase really.

Although it's a good sentiment and useful in a survival situation.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire

Can't be relied upon, that's why they're made for recycling after one purchase really.

i would've agreed entirely mate, but then i got convinced by another member on here that if you get one made of decent plastic (how you work that bit out i'm not sure) then they do stand up to a fair bit of use. as i say it's not something i use myself i tend to go with a 58 pattern bottle or a 10litre ortlieb bag, but i did for a long time use an old 2litre vinegar bottle, again free(ish) but much harder wearing. in fact i've got a nearly empty vinegar bottle in the cupboard, that might start having some outings for when i want something a bit bigger than the 58 pattern but not so big as the ortlieb. glad this thread came up now, it's made me think.

cheers

stuart

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm thinking of folk trying to fold or crush them smaller,won't last long then.

Couldn't think of what you meant re: vinegar there for a minute...got you now..doh!

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I've used PET bottles for 6 months before chucking them out. They're free and as lightweight as it gets.
Nalgenes and commerical bottles tend to be pretty clunky and heavy. Especially when you have to lug 5 or 6L.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Last edited:

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I use empty drinks bottles and have done for years, they are the bottle of choice for big wall climbing which absolutely batters gear. I've got camelback and platypus bladders as well (in the bottom of a drawer somewhere) but the drinks bottles get used for pretty much everything. Some people in the climbing world cover the bottles in duct tape but I don't bother, just tie a loop of cord around the neck. I've lost some but have yet to burst one.
Some bottles are better than others though.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm going to buck the trend here. I do like and use the 58 patterns, but my favourite water bottle has to be the US artic canteen. Double wall insulated so acts like a thermos - will keep your brew warm for several hours (or beer cold :)). Nice curved "cowboy canteen" feel. Were cheaper than 58 pattern bottles for a while - wish I'd bought a few back then

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't "do" plastics, so I use a stainless 1300ml Klean Kanteen. I also bought one of those drinking lids for it, although the lid is hard plastic, it doesn't give a taste or trigger my hypersensitivity.

Unfortunately I dropped it on asphalt when it was almost full, so it has some dents in the bottom now.

Edit: If it were a bit bigger, I'd love to have me one of these:

http://www.uniquetitanium.com/TiBottle_p_290.html

Or this:
http://www.moontrail.com/vargo-titanium-water-bottle.php

£40 UK for a water bottle? you must be a wealthy man lol

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've got a few options, depending on what I'm doing...

• Platypus / Camelbak for active days
  • MSR dromedary bladder for fixed camps
  • 58 Patt waterbottles ...don't get used much these days,
  • Stainless steel "nalgene" type bottle gets used the most these days as it fits my man bag etc (MaxP stuff)
  • Cheap "nalgene" copy as a pee bottle in the hammock.:yikes:
Simon

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Barn Owl.

What do you base your comments below on:

I am just wondering here if you are talking about your ownpersonal experience, rather than long term knowledge of many users (I'm just curious, as oyu didn't add IMHO or IME etc).

From my own personal use, a fizzy drinks bottle will last three to four four years of use (2-4 days per week), and literally dozens of fellow light weighters that I know, use them for several years with no problems too.

I also have to add, that if they were manufactured for single liquid filling, htis would be marked on the base of the bottle, along with the other info stamped there (this is something marked on drinks bottles for less than continula filling use, as is represented by a number in a mathematical shape).

As someone who had to use '58 water bottles in military service, I will agree that they are OK, but can't see the point of carrying the extra weight, and using something designed to fit in webbing (as I don't use it now). So, although I have quite a few '58 bottles hanging around in cupboards, I tend to stick with fizzy drinks bottles.
I will admit to having one split on its base, but one in over twenty years isn't too back I guess, and is the same number of '58 bottles I have had break on me lol. But, just to add a bit of a twist......The only '58 bottle I would ever use now (and only for teaching), is one of the green ones, as I always preferred them, and they can at least be a talking point (along with their cups too lol).

As for survival situations (and I don't intend to ever be in one lol), Your fizzy drinks bottle with withstand freezing better than a '58 bottle, as well as having the ability to be placed on embers to heat its contents.

Just a few counter points to the 'gear must be heavy military stuff' argument, and also acknowledging that you are much more likely to come across discarded fizzy bottles for bushcraft use than '58 ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE