I want a make a spertile

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
I want to make a spertile (sp?) for my cook kit.

I have the East German one.

I have no idea of what type of dementions I would need.

I could use a spoon, but I just like to say the word spirtle. LOL!

Any ideas or a pix of one that can give me a starting point?

Thanks,

Jon:thankyou:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I am assuming you mean a porridge stirring implement, in which case try spelling it Spurtle, and google images will bring you lots of pictures of traditional Scottish style spurtles. How big you make it is entirely dependent on the quantity of porridge you wish to stir.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
By the way, originally spurtles were just handy sized sticks that were cleaned up for the purpose of stirring. The thistle topped ones that you see mostly nowadays are often lathe turned, and are made that way not because they are better stirrers, but because they look good.

Last edited:

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Thanks for the information.
Will hit up Google tosee what I can find.
Bty my spelling sucks, and my autocorrect doesnt work!
Glad you were able to figgure out what I meant.:You_Rock_

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
There's also a spittle which is like a super wide spatula for turning oatcakes in South Yorkshire and a similar but more knife shape oatcake turner in the Lake District which was known as a spurtle with that spelling.

atb

tom

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
to make a basic spurtle find a 1 inch thick piece wood in the round peel the bark tidy the ends and stir.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE