I should do some creative bushcraft!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Any ideas?

What I mean is I wildcamp and use various outdoors skills in doing that, well campcraft basically but nothing creative or more "bushcrafty". I know there has been pointless discussions on what is bushcraft so don't want to touch that here but in my mind I am only camping at the moment allbeit using other skills. This has led me to thinking I should try to make something or do something creative. Unfortunately I have limited experience, tools and immediate resources.

Does anyone have something a relative novice to the more creative side of "bushcraft" or something that people on here post about that is easy with limited tools and things?? I do like the idea of carving but a Mora Clipper, Opinel, two SAKs, a cheap small locking and a whitby small locking knives are my sole cutting implements (possibly can find one chisel somewhere too). I also cut myself easily as I am a little clumsy with knives sometimes / cack-handed so have chickened out. Used to make quite a serviceable pointed stick as a kid though I never really found much use for them.

We have leatherwork, metalwork, woodwork and a whole host of other stuff on here but I can't think of anything I can do off the top of my head. I also think I am cack-handed. I have made one drinks can stove and it burns ok but more on one side and through the gap between inner and outer can parts. That so far is my one attempt at a useful creation. I want more but better so I ask again...any ideas?

Ace Rimmer

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Swindon
Firstly stop telling yourself you are cak handed. The more you do, the more you will be. A self fufilling prophecy.

If you think you can do a thing or you can't do a thing - your right! - Henry Ford

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I love working with wood dude, the first thing i always set out make is lots of wood chippings for the garden, then there is no wasted effort, have a go at a spoon, it's a done to death thing BUT, it involves curves both concave and convex, shallow bowl carving, getting your eye into when you have a straight shaft, and if it ends up all wiggly and random, then you just say it's your "interpretation" of a spoon.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was thinking of starting off with a paddle like I once saw RM do on TV but then cutting too much off and ending up with a spoon!! I think spoon is about right as a starter. BTW where does one go to get wood if you don't have a garden and don't really know someone with wood? Do you just go into the woods and pick up some fallen branch?

I think I might actually get a SS cutlery drainer and take a junior hacksaw to it or make some different can stove types. Perhaps I should get some tinned catfood and give one of those a go. I did for a while spend my time looking round Tescos for two metal tins to make a wood gas stove but those small paint tin sized tins are all paper bodied that I could see.

I think I will make my interpretation of a spoon sometime. Might keep an eye out this weekend for some wood. Must get a folding pruning saw first, something light for my backpack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE