I remember Raymond.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 23, 2017
UK
As I approach my sixtieth year I am less able to do the physical stuff and more time to reflect on life. My brain still functions but my knees are knackered, so forums such as this one are something of a blessing and offer a connection with the great outdoors, a place into which I still venture, but less far than in the past.
My interest in outdoor pursuits goes back to my prep school days, and scouting. I have long been an admirer of B-P and others of that ilk, men such as Burnham and Selous, and the Boers; and remember the days when Ray Mears was but a boy known as Raymond, and just starting out running courses in conjunction with Survival Aids of Penrith.
Happy days.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome!
I too am in my 60th year, knees (and back and shoulder knackered) but I still get out on a regular basis!
Do not despair - things are still do-able :)
Ray as "Raymond" :D
RM portrait.JPG
Real Scouting
grandad as a scout.jpg

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Just turned 60 myself, fortunately still fittish and healthy, and managing to get out once a month. Watching Anglia tv's Survival, Jack Hargreaves, a brief stint in the sea cadets, then Les Hiddins. I also remember Raymond. :D

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Hi kids.

I'm in my 76th year and don't yet consider my age to be any barrier to continuing to do what I have always done. However, when in the mountains, I do find myself contemplating the view more often and for a longer time.

I hope I am taking after my mother who said shortly before her death at the age of 94, "I don't know what's wrong with me these days. I was all right until I was 89!" She was, too- still travelling with a bunch of cronies. (Or should that be crones?)

Maybe I am beginning to develop my mother's ability to forget that it wasn't last week that she took me up Helvellyn, but 50 years before. Perhaps the clue is in my tag and soubriquet.

Mar 23, 2017
UK
My mother in law is 93 and very much the same oldtimer, it has only been in the past year that she has begun to admit age is starting to slow her down;

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Saddest thing I ever saw was a post somewhere, "getting to be forty so will have to take it easier". It is true that you are only as old as the women you feel. I say no more but my wife claims to be only 21.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Saddest thing I ever saw was a post somewhere, "getting to be forty so will have to take it easier". It is true that you are only as old as the women you feel. I say no more but my wife claims to be only 21.
I'm 42 and going to try and join the local coast guard unit and taking part in in a charity boxing night.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Just to make you all feel old....I'm 16 ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't feel old- I am old- but I feel young.

Ah, as dear Oscar Wilde said, "What a shame that youth is wasted on the young!"

There will come a time when you won't remember being 16- I'm having trouble remembering being 60.

But enjoy being young, you have so much to look forward to. I hope you build up a store of happy memories as you age. You are of a generation that may wonder why 70+ was considered old and that people merely 100 got telegrams from the Queen as you look forward to getting an old age pension when you reach 120.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE