I present the humming bird hawk moth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I keep seeing theses in my back garden there amazing little critters. I did not take this photo as my stupid camera wasn't charged but I will try and get a picture of my own. I saw one when I was about ten my dad pointed it out to me and have been intrigued ever since. I spotted it instantly on the honey suckle in my back garden.
So here's the idea keep an eye out got them try and photograph if possable and post your sightings here.
4ejynyzu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That one is a large elephant hawkmoth.

I know, I was quite excited about finding it. We had a few friends over last night, and as each of then surfaced from their hangovers, I led them into the garden to share my joy. Not one, apart from my good lady, really seemed to give a toss :D

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Philistines! ;)

I think Madam was only interested in getting it out of the house to be honest, though she did take a few pics of it on the lavender. :rolleyes:

Wish I'd got the Canon out now and taken some better pictures, but I thought it would disappear so just used the iPhone. It stayed there for ages, but I was busy on the sossies, toms and eggs for everyone.

Last edited:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
They are more common the nearer you are to the channel as they are not resident here, every one you see has flown the channel. We get them in Derbyshire in good summers. What I don't understand is why do they fly here? It's a long way to come and they are not breeding here, are they trying to expand territory, laying eggs that don't make it?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
They are more common the nearer you are to the channel as they are not resident here, every one you see has flown the channel. We get them in Derbyshire in good summers. What I don't understand is why do they fly here? It's a long way to come and they are not breeding here, are they trying to expand territory, laying eggs that don't make it?

Migration to a habitat with fewer competitors, means they feed well, so wherever they choose to breed they are in prime condition and do better, reproductively. It works, or they wouldn't do it. Now and again, if conditions are right, they will breed, and thereby colonise a new habitat. As a behaviour it certainly has its risks, but also benefits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE