i need flint lol

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Sure but theres loads on the floor you can pick up for free :D ;)

Might be that you'r not in a very flinty area in which case the main problem with posting it is going to be the high postage costs.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I have trouble with shaping it into what I want it for i.e. for a flintsteel set. Antler is meant to be good for shaping flint

I have decided to start calling a steel used for traditional flint striking a flintsteel, so as to avoid confusion with a firesteel. :D

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
leon-b said:
do i just scour the beaches ?
leon

You could, but you should check local by-laws about removing stones of any sort from the beaches.

Have you though about asking British Red really nicely?, he trips over it everywhere he goes!

LS

Oct 25, 2006
england
If there are any road works near you and they are digging holes have a scout around you may find some flint in the piles of earth.I have found some really good workable pieces doing this.Why pay for it. :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
red please may i have some flint :eek: , only if i will use it though, what could i use it for ?
leon

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I got a couple of grate pieces of flint when I was on holiday in Suffolk after we went to see the Grimes Graves stone age flint mine, still haven't managed to tern it into anything useful yet :rolleyes: . Does anyone know of anywhere you can find flint in Shropshire or the wider midlands?

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
timtom1 said:
anybody want to sell me some flint?

PM me your address and I'll send you some. Do you want it for knapping or fire making?
I have sent some recently to 'John Fenna' and 'Backyard bushcraft' so ask them about the utility of it if you wish.
As long as you dont want 10's of kilos it's not a problem.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
British Red said:
WD,

I can bring you up some 12" nodules in Feb if you like?

Damn stuff wrecks the ploughs :(

Red

That would be grate thanks :You_Rock_ , now I've just got to work out how to knap :eek: .

Oh and leon you can make virtually anything with a cutting edge from it (if your good enough) lots of different knives, arrowheads/spearheads, axes (if your feeling adventurous), scrapers (for preparing hides), chisels (for carving wood and bone) and flints for flint and steel fire making. As I said anything with an edge.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
A rough round river stone to flake it and abrade an edge and then a bit of copper or antler tine (I prefer copper) to take off pressure flakes. You'll also need a leather pad to protect your hand.

It's worth getting someone to show you if you can, .picking where to hit and push is a bit of an art.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE